My 2014 PIU Mod list-So far and on the way! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2014 PIU Mod list-So far and on the way!

Changing a 255/50R20 to a 265/65R18 results in a 5% diameter difference. The example you listed was a 255/55R20.
A 265/60R18 is 2% and as is a 245/65R18. When your speedo reads 60 the actual speed will be 61 mph.

Peter
Correct it would be a 5% difference from the stock 245...but my question is (now) if the sport comes with a 255/55 R20 (or as I noticed that is the size tire a member put on their 20"s) or going over 2% over what the sport puts on their rim....isnt it the same SUV?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct it would be a 5% difference from the stock 245...but my question is (now) if the sport comes with a 255/55 R20 (or as I noticed that is the size tire a member put on their 20"s) or going over 2% over what the sport puts on their rim....isnt it the same SUV?

I see what I did there. The member I saw on here in the photo gallary is running a 255/55/R20 not a 255/50

That is correct. The 2020 Explorer/Aviator come with a 255/55R20 as standard OEM tires

Peter

That is correct. The 2020 Explorer/Aviator come with a 255/55R20 as standard OEM tires

Peter

The member I noticed had the 20"s on his 2016. one sec ill do some researchin :)

So tomorrow is the complete rip out day and install of a ton of new things...but check out my ps2 shelf!

Half way there! with the floor sound dampening!
20200823_094806.jpg

20200823_094732.jpg

20200823_094727.jpg

Looks good but seems overkill and adds unnecessary weight. Usually you just want to use a mastic (dynamat, fatmat, etc.) on each piece of sheet metal to dampen vibrations and prevent the panel from resonating. Just a piece in the center is usually enough to dampen it. Then install mass loaded vinyl (MLV) to block sound waves from the outside. Try to make sure there are no gaps in the MLV that sound can leak through. Then finally add an absorption layer on top such as jute pad, foam, etc to absorb leaked sound and interior echoes. Here is a good website for more information.

Looks good but seems overkill and adds unnecessary weight. Usually you just want to use a mastic (dynamat, fatmat, etc.) on each piece of sheet metal to dampen vibrations and prevent the panel from resonating. Just a piece in the center is usually enough to dampen it. Then install mass loaded vinyl (MLV) to block sound waves from the outside. Try to make sure there are no gaps in the MLV that sound can leak through. Then finally add an absorption layer on top such as jute pad, foam, etc to absorb leaked sound and interior echoes. Here is a good website for more information.
Thanks Brett, I really was debating the overkill prior. I figured, I will only be doing this once to this vehicle, and the single box weighs collectively 17 pounds, and distributed like how it is, the weight wont be bad.

I have some of the insulation, and them memory foam mat that will go on top of the insulation, then the carpet.

Just got the infamous driver side one in the mail! DUN DUN DUNNNNNN

20200901_115243.jpg

oooo and them maxliners DOE!
20200901_130005.jpg

Back