My Addition of spoiler brake & reverse lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Addition of spoiler brake & reverse lights

Dylan2955

Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Thought I would share my latest add-on.

For no reason at all I wanted to add some additional brake lighting to my 13. Originally I had planned to add three lights to the left and three to the right all simulating brake lights.

About halfway through the project I decided to change it up a little and add two brake lights to each side, and a reverse light to each side.

Install was not terrible, but sure looks terrible.

IiDCUPQ.jpg

I set the LEDs to "10% mode" but they were still so incredibly bright I actually had to tint over the red at the end because I was blinding people at night.

qMf5hBD.png

The reverse is awesome as it provides a TON of extra light when backing up.

8PyNcEF.jpg

RxPHwx4.jpg

aRRgbsY.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what your state’s laws are on this subject, but that looks awfully close to some kind of police or fire department vehicle with all the rear facing LEDs.

You’re allowed to have red LEDS on the back.

Not sure what your state’s laws are on this subject, but that looks awfully close to some kind of police or fire department vehicle with all the rear facing LEDs.

Hah my city wishes they had explorers lol. Crown vics all the way!

I did check my state though, rear facing red is allowed. They can even flash apparently, but I disabled that. Thanks for lookin' out :)

What brand/model of LED's did you use ?

I’m thinking about same mod on my 18 explorer. I’ve been using police strobes on my motorcycle for years without any issues or objections from police. Actually they compliment this since motorcycles inherently have small taillights.
When I installed those on my wife’s grand caravan she never had any problems as long as it was hooked up to brake lights.

Back