Navigation not compensating for traffic. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Navigation not compensating for traffic.

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Long winded, but here goes.

I have a 2014 Ex Sport with navigation and Sirius Travel Link. When I input say my home address after work, it always directs me the same way regardless of the fact that there is an alternate route that is only 1 mile further(5%), but 15 minutes shorter time(~25%). I have it set to fastest route, but it doesn’t seem to be picking up the traffic on one of the routes.

What’s odd is that the direction it tells me to go shows a travel time of ~31 minutes every time( I believe is the no traffic time), but I know by checking traffic before leaving work that it’s well above that. Once I deviate from that route to the longer(but shorter time wise) route, it updates and give a realistic travel time(usually longer than 31 minutes). I understand that it thinks it’s giving me the fastest route, but in reality, if I didn’t check traffic before I left, it would have been longer(time wise). Why isn’t it picking up the real traffic for its “normal” route, but does the other route once I get on that one?

It shows the green, yellow and red on the map.

The other day, it wanted to take me what it thought was the fastest route, but I knew better since that was timed as almost 2 hours(from Google Maps and mapquest), whereas the other route was only ~40 minutes(actual travel time). If I didn’t check traffic on my computer, I would have wasted an extra hour.

Anyone else have this issue?

I'm guessing the algorithm for calculating the route used by Ford isn't as advanced as the algorithms used by Google. Maybe if you play around with your route and navigation settings, you might get better results.

Yeah, I suppose Google and Mapquest have been around much longer and directly focused on maps.

Interesting thing happened yesterday. The "normal" route actually showed a realistic travel time based on traffic(51 minutes). However, it still didnt re-route me the other way even though that way showed 32 minutes. If I was somewhere that I didnt know my way around, I could be spending a lot of unnecessary time on the road.

Sirius Traffic sucks. I've since canceled it, but when I had it it rarely informed me of traffic congestion or wrecks.
HDTraffic on HD radios is much better... And free with an HD receiver. My Truck has HD Traffic (Pioneer Nav unit) and I'll normally get informed of every spot of congestion and offered to reroute on my trips to and from work.

We have HD receivers. But don't have the capability to utilize the traffic info fed over HD in the Explorers.

Back