• Register Today It's free!

Need a locker-Rear Axle ID

Joes4x4Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
The center of Hell, Parker, Arizona!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
A friend of mine wants to get a Powertrax No-Slip like mine. I ordered mine direct from Powertrax and just gave them the Make, Model, Year and if it was an open or Traction lock carrier.

My buddy says he can save $40-$50 by getting his at Rocky Road. Here's the problem Rock Road Lists several choices for the Ford 8.8 a 28 spline, a 31 spline 3/4" axle shaft and a 31 Spline 7/8" axle shaft. I told him just to call and order the same part number locker as mine,(he has a 91 explorer 2dr) but he's all freaked out by the number of choices and is afraid he might order the wrong one and the return shipping would wipe out his savings.

Is there any way to tell what he has without opening it up, pulling a shaft, and counting spines & measuring the axle? His door code is 46, thats a 3.73 open carrier. Can Ford tell him the rest with the tag on the pumpkin?

is the tag ligible if so then yes i dont see why not

your reading it wrong, its not talking about to the axle shafts, but the crosspin in the carrier itsself that holds the spider gears in place.

Im 99.99999% sure its the 3/4 shaft in explorers and that the FSB/F-150's had the 7/8's

Your right, it will be the same part number as yours (im betting 92-0688-3127)

Back