Need cheap ideas for beefing up my 96 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need cheap ideas for beefing up my 96 sport

kcar711

Reaction score
City, State
Clemmons, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport 4x4
Ok, Im looking to do some werk on 96 4x4 this summer and i got some ideas in mind but i need to know what will werk and what will work the best. Im looking for a cheap lift, prolly along the lines of leaf conversion and shackles and TT. I want to raise it 2-3". I also want to modify the intake for increased performance. My tire choice is 32x10.5 or 33x12.5 and im going to venture MT on 15x8 rims. Lemme know what yall think and if u got any tips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll find plenty on all these subjects by using the search function. TT/Shackles is the most common lifting mod by far for guys on this board. Don't know much about the leaf conversion, what leaves are u planning on using? For the intake, KKM is the choice of the majority on here. It provides the same performance as K&N's FIPK for less then half the price. Good luck..

You will probably want to find out what gears you have. I have 3.27's with a manual tranny and don't notice much loss in the low end but I do on the highway to some extend. With 33" tires you would probably be best off with 4.10's.

Good Luck
CP

i dont think 33s on 15x8s are going to fit without lots of trimming if all you are palnning is tt/shackles

yup 33s won't fit on just a TT/Shackle done.. I would get the body lift done too..

Thats what Im thinkin to. I gotta a friend that said he got it to work, but im not sure if he had to do much trimming, I havent seen his explorer in awhile. Im leaning more toward the 32x10.5 instead. For the leafs im trying to find a good set off of a 96 or 97 4x4 xlt to get rid of my monoleaf.

Back