• Register Today It's free!

Need help with my 2.5l ranger.

C-los

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County
Year, Model & Trim Level
98ranger
NEED HELP, IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG SECTION PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MOVE.

98 ford ranger 4cyl 2.5L 5spd.

the check engine light on my truck came on last week.it was stuttering and bogging out and bucking.I thought it would be a dirty MAF sensor or something (its happened to me before) so i cleaned it and nothing chaned. I ran the OBDII scanner on it and it gave me:

P0135- Fuel and Air Metering - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description HO2S Heater Circuit Conditions
Location Bank 1 Sensor 1
Cause Engine running for 1 minute, then the PCM detected an open or short in the HO2S heater circuit

and

P1131- Manufacturer Controlled DTC - Manufacturer Controlled
Description Lack of HO2S Switches, Sensor at Lean Limit Conditions
Location Bank 1 Sensor 1
Cause Engine running in closed loop, then the PCM detected that the HO2S-11 signal did not switch because the fuel control system is at its lean limit.

First thing i did was changed the o2 sensor. the upstream sensor. cleared the codes (disconnected battery durring install). when i fired it up the CEL was no longer on. drove it down the street and it still bogged and bucked.i pulled over and shut it off and then started it back up. the CEL came back on. Next I pulled the air filter off, sprayed the MAF again with MAF cleaner, Cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner, started it back up, drove it, and still nothing changed.

today i took the truck into pep-boys for a diagnostic. they ran the diagnostic and kicked back P0135, P1000, P1650, P1127. The guy at pep-boys said "just replace the o2 cause its dead" and i told him i had just replaced it the night before. he said its probably a faulty one and i should exchange it.

i exchanged it and installed the new one. still get a CEL and it still bogs and bucks. i tested the female connection that goes to the computer and it gets power and everything. im pretty sure the o2 is working as well. so now im stuck. idk where to go with this and what steps i need to take to fix this. im afraid that its an ECU issue that i cannot fix myself (meaning tons of $$).

here are the results from the diagnostic and it shows the downstream sensor working but the upstream is dead.
page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

can you guys help me out? its my DD and only truck so im in a crappy bind. thanks in advance!

Carlos

Back