New 07? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 07?

sjdowlin

Reaction score
City, State
Folsom, CA
Hi all, this is my first post. I love this site, I get the feeling I'll be spending too much time here.

I am considering buying a new 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8/4WD. The truck has about 200 miles on it and was part of a bankrupt dealer's inventory that's been moved to another dealer. They tell me it's been in N Cal its whole life.

It's never been registered and would come with a new vehicle warranty.

No precuations were taken to store the truck at all. Of course, it starts and runs fine. Other than the battery and all the fluids, is there anything to be worried about?

Thanks

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

personally unless it was an outstanding discount, I would get a true new one. If you buy this and two years from now you decide to sell/ trade or accidentally total it, they will consider it a four year old truck so you will take a hit on the back end. It wouldnt matter for me cause I tend to buy new and keep like 15 years so the difference is negligable. Keep in mind you should be able to get an outstanding discount on a 2009 too, so it would have to be BIG DISCOUNT.

personally unless it was an outstanding discount, I would get a true new one. If you buy this and two years from now you decide to sell/ trade or accidentally total it, they will consider it a four year old truck so you will take a hit on the back end. It wouldnt matter for me cause I tend to buy new and keep like 15 years so the difference is negligable. Keep in mind you should be able to get an outstanding discount on a 2009 too, so it would have to be BIG DISCOUNT.

i believe the warranty would start the day of purchase

i would be apprehensive about the whole bankrupt dealer story

Your warranty starts the first day you buy it. But like the other one said, it's a three year old truck, so you should get a good deal.

Three years...200 miles.....hot sun....no fluid changes guaranteed...

My taurus, when it was my grammas, sat for ONE summer, and ended up having SO much more wrong with it, so many rubber lines dry rotted, sprouting holes, trans leak, and on and on.

I would say go for it, but like theyre saying, you better be getting a HELL of a deal, say what we said, a car sitting 3 years, hot sun, etc etc.

I agree you should be looking for a major discount on the truck, if only, right or wrong, because many potential buyers wouldn't even consider buying a 2007 at this point. Find out when it was built. If it was a latter-year 2007 model, it may only be more like 1 1/2 years "old".

I lived in Sacramento for a few years and the sun and heat is nothing like here in Texas. I bought a 2008 Mountaineer that had been sitting on the lot in San Antonio for almost a year and the only thing that showed any sun/heat damage was the rubber seal on the black windshield wiper cowling. It was a quick snap off, snap on fix. I haven't had any other problems.

Chris

welcome steve

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I just spoke to the dealer again and, he's still looking for $29k which seems pretty out of line, even for a decked out Ltd. He didn't seem at all interested in low to mid $20K range. I get the feeling it's going to be sitting at this dealer a while too. I know I can find 08 and 09 dealer demos with 5k miles for less than $29k so, I'll keep looking.

I've got to say, given the V6s low tow rating, I never would have expected V8s to be so hard to come by. My quest continues.

Thanks All!

IMHO, that dealership isn’t very smart. They've already paid two years of inventory taxes on the truck and if they don't “get real” soon, they'll end up paying a third. I suspect they’re trying to recoup those taxes. Besides, anyone who knows anything about "bidness" knows that cash flow is king. For new old stock, $25K today, even at a loss, is better than possibly $29K later. Plus, every month that goes by, their potential sales pool declines.

I bought my 2008 Mountaineer in November for $8,000 off sticker without negotiating. That included $6,000 cash back from Ford, $1,000 from Mercury, and $1,000 from the dealer. If you're not in a hurry, I'd leave them your name and number and tell them to call you in November before the next round of taxes comes due.

Chris

My 2 cents, seing as the retail value as soon as you drive it off the lot is about $23-24K, I would think about gap insurance if you paid much more. But I agree, it should sell for a slight premium over a regular used 2 yr old Explorer, like mid 20s or less. As a reference, our 2 yr old EB v6 4wd 29K miles shows $21k retail on NADA, but we paid $17.9k a year ago with 21K miles Ford certified used. The NADA price was $21K a year ago too!

Good luck on your search. I wish we could have found a V8, but we couldn't pass up the deal we got, everything we wanted but the V8.

Back