New maps 2.20 for SYNC 3 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New maps 2.20 for SYNC 3

Perhaps it is because V3.4 wasn't released for the 5th gen. :dunno:
A member with a 2020 Explorer V3.4, had maps 2.20 download over the air without any issues other than it took a few days to complete. I checked for map updates for mine and found it's only available through a $40 USB drive.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so you are saying that unless yo have version 3.4, the highest map version possible to intall is 3.19?
if that is true, why are those with v3.4 down grading to 3.0 to install the 2.20 maps?
kind of confused
It is not what I'm saying.
What I'm saying is that there are two ways to get new maps for SYNC 3: one is free of charge and the other is not.
First way. If you have official system from Ford (no matter v3.0, 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4) then you have to go to Navitel website and order a maps for some money. At the moment the latest maps version which are available to buy is 1.19, Maps 2.20 were not officially released yet.
Second way. Unofficially upgrade system to v3.4 and get new and free maps 2.20 as a bonus. v3.4 uses different file structure than 3.0 thus not backward compatible and it is not possible to downgrade from 3.4 to 3.0, only to either 3.2 or 3.3.

It is not what I'm saying.
What I'm saying is that there are two ways to get new maps for SYNC 3: one is free of charge and the other is not.
First way. If you have official system from Ford (no matter v3.0, 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4) then you have to go to Navitel website and order a maps for some money. At the moment the latest maps version which are available to buy is 1.19, Maps 2.20 were not officially released yet.
Second way. Unofficially upgrade system to v3.4 and get new and free maps 2.20 as a bonus. v3.4 uses different file structure than 3.0 thus not backward compatible and it is not possible to downgrade from 3.4 to 3.0, only to either 3.2 or 3.3.
thank for that explanation

I just check the Ford website & the map update site
I have available updates for both
The map is only 1.19
Would hate to update to 1.19 & then the 1.20 becomes available in 30 days or so

The map is only 1.19
Just wait for little bit longer or upgrade to 3.4 and get maps for free, cyanlabs way is pretty simple.

The map is only 1.19
I just checked the Ford Sync3 map update looking to see if there was a 2020 may update yet. The site shows that there is a map update, but it does not show any details of the type of update, nor does it mention what version/year the update is. How did you know your map update was a 2019 version?

I just checked the Ford Sync3 map update looking to see if there was a 2020 may update yet. The site shows that there is a map update, but it does not show any details of the type of update, nor does it mention what version/year the update is. How did you know your map update was a 2019 version?
its on the main page in the very bottom

I was looking on the second, "buy it" page, but found it on the first page: "Exact data may vary by product. The current Map version is NA 1 19."

Update to 19? It might be free from Ford.

Not sure about 20 maps.

19 isn't free either
was going to upgrade until I found out about 20
now I guess that I will wait

The 6th gen latest update was to version build 21020 on V3.4 which then also provided over the air map updates to 2.20. Some found that the 21020 update caused a loss of Travel Link and Sirius/XM and went back to build 20282 which seemed to correct the issue, but unless they turned OFF their WiFi, the new update was again automatically downloaded. The thing to keep in mind is that V3.4 was never released or intended for V3.0.

Peter

I just checked Ford website. My 2018 Edge is now offered with USB maps update for $40 plus shipping for 19 maps, but I previously downloaded 19 maps for free.
If anyone interested to check, go to Ford - Sync3 Map Update

Yikes, I just checked. For my 2017 Sport the SYNC 3 USB map update is $149 plus shipping.

Oem nav blows anyway, use AA or ACP! Free updates and waaay better nav guidance.

I guess you have some v3.0 build since maps are 1.15, so not possible for you, at least for free.
Possible only if you on any build of v3.4 (maybe v3.2 and 3.3 as well, but I'm not sure), but still takes too long to update just maps, at least two times longer than using reformat.
I have a 2018 f250 with sync 3.02. Had to pay $109 for new map 2.20 update

Took 1 hour to download no problems just expensive Not sure how to update my Sync 3.02 yo sync 3.4. Gird says I’m up to date no updates available

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your profile shows an F-150.
Version 3.4 was not released for the 5th gen. It is for the 6th gen Explorer. Not sure about the pickups. Installing software not authorized for the vehicle can impact any warranty you have affected by the change (ie. APIM). So Ford (Gird as you said) is probably correct in that there are no updates for your vehicle.

Peter

Took 1 hour to download no problems just expensive Not sure how to update my Sync 3.02 yo sync 3.4. Gird says I’m up to date no updates available

Ford never (officially) released 3.4 for vehicles that came with 3.0 as the update required re-formatting the unit to change the partition sizes and Ford did not want to publicly release these tools. That said, I find 3.4 to be much faster and smoother than 3.0 and it works very well on my retrofitted 2016 Explorer. You can update maps and nav for free with CyanLabs tool however this will void any existing warranty on the APIM. There is also some level of risk involved as this fully reformats the unit. You cannot downgrade back to 3.0.

Is there a new Map out for Sync 3 explorers?

The 2021 maps are out there.

The 2021 maps are out there.
But the file is actually a 2020 that came out about this time last year, correct? I'm going to buy Ford's 5 year subscription, but I wanted to start our subscription when a new release just hit.

Back