• Register Today It's free!

New Member/ Band adjustment ?

kidrock72

Reaction score
City, State
Espanola
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford ranger fx4 4x4
long story short, I have recently installed a transgo shift correction kit on my 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0l and I adjusted the bands accordingly, now I have saved up and bought an original Ford 5r55e valve body with Updated solenoids seals and gaskets. I'm wondering what to adjust the bands at, I'm assuming its 2 turns back on them both, but being an updated version, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, the band settings will stay the same. I personally run them at 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 out.
Good luck
Brad

Welcome to the forum, the band settings will stay the same. I personally run them at 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 out.
Good luck
Brad
Thanks for the information, this is very useful

which band is what I have looked it up and I can't figure out which one is which. I figured he 2nd band is closest to the gear shift linkage snd the overdrive band is closer to engine? Thanks again

You are correct, OD band is at the front and intermediate band is above the manual linkage in the middle of the case.
Brad

You are correct, OD band is at the front and intermediate band is above the manual linkage in the middle of the case.
Brad
I appreciate the information , you have yourself a great day, CHEERS

Glad to share information.

I have a question for you, I am wondering what torque specs you personally use on the valve body bolts, I went with 70"inch pounds, I heard they have been known to come lose and when I install the my remanufactured updated valve body, I want to get it right the first time. Thanks in Advance

I will go through the sequence @60”pounds and then again @95”pounds. This has worked for me on many units.
Brad

4905F728-E517-4A4A-B50A-452C00390CA4.jpeg

I will go through the sequence @60”pounds and then again @95”pounds. This has worked for me on many units.
Brad

View attachment 324116
This is amazing information and greatly appreciated! I will be doing this job over the weekend and This will definitely benefit me big time! have yourself great week! CHEERS

A quick question! The TransGo shift kit prompted me to insert a tapered orface into the 2nd band feed hole ,of which I did. Now my question is whether or not I should remove it before installing the new Remanufactured Updated valve body? Also would you suggest adding the shift kit to the New and updated Valve Body? Thanls in Advance! I owe you Big Time

Leave it alone. Its purpose is to smooth out shifts when line pressure has been raised for small liter engines. You'll never know it's there.
Good Luck!
Brad

I put the rebuilt valve body on a d took it out for a test run and the O/D button started flashing within 15min. I pulled over and shut it off , a d restarted it, this time I turned the O/D button off and it drives perfectly without skipping a beat. I'm totally puzzled. there are 2 speed sensors attached on top of the transmission, I changed 1 and not the other I'm wondering if that could cause this.

Need to scan for trouble codes. Did you reboot the PCM after repair?
Brad

NoI didn't reboot can I do it from home manually? just wondering? thanks

I figured out how to reset PCM I had a brain Fart! I'm readjusting bands and you mention earlier that you adjust the bands at 1.50 and 1.75 turns back. which one do you adjust the O/D band at 1.50 or 1.75 thanks again.

Don’t get hung up on being “by the book” on numbers. 13/4 will work just fine for each band.
Brad

Thanks I will definitely adjust both too 1-3/4 . have yourself a great day!

Thanks I will definitely adjust both too 1-3/4 . have yourself a great day!
Say, can you post the directions from the TransGo kit if you still have them? There's another member here with an issue of having no 5th gear or 2nd. I suggested he also try the band adjustment that TransGo directs, it tightens up that clearance more than the OEM directions. I don't recall the differences of the two methods, just that I liked the result of it when I did my TransGo kit in 2007. It's not a big deal, I just know it could take me a long time to find my old paperwork for transmission stuff.

I hope that rebuilt VB works well for you also, the 5R's are finicky things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back