• Register Today It's free!

Snakezilla

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I first would like to thank all the members and the forum for all the great information available to the public. Because of all the good information provided our family has found its way back into an explorer. About 12 years ago I sold our 1992 green explorer after 7 years of service. We needed a bigger vehicle again due to our family growing and we purchased our sport on Jan 31st. I can honestly say this was the perfect vehicle for our family of 4 with the 2nd row buckets. It's big enough for everyone to be comfortable but not too big. It has enough power to make me smile when I floor it and IMO is the best looking vehicle in its class. One of my favorite hobbies is detailing. So far I clayed, polished and waxed the explorer. I hate rock chips so I had a clear bra installed last Saturday from hood, bumper, lower bumper panel, fenders, side mirrors, headlamps and fog lamps. I also had the front windows tinted 50%. We are very happy with the new sport. The explorer has come a long way comparing our sport to our old 1992. I'll post pictures soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I first would like to thank all the members and the forum for all the great information available to the public. Because of all the good information provided our family has found its way back into an explorer. About 12 years ago I sold our 1992 green explorer after 7 years of service. We needed a bigger vehicle again due to our family growing and we purchased our sport on Jan 31st. I can honestly say this was the perfect vehicle for our family of 4 with the 2nd row buckets. It's big enough for everyone to be comfortable but not too big. It has enough power to make me smile when I floor it and IMO is the best looking vehicle in its class. One of my favorite hobbies is detailing. So far I clayed, polished and waxed the explorer. I hate rock chips so I had a clear bra installed last Saturday from hood, bumper, lower bumper panel, fenders, side mirrors, headlamps and fog lamps. I also had the front windows tinted 50%. We are very happy with the new sport. The explorer has come a long way comparing our sport to our old 1992. I'll post pictures soon.

Congrats on the new vehicle! Sounds like you picked my favorite options for the Sport! Enjoy!!!

Looks like you're a Mustang fan too! Can't have too many of those here! ; )

Welcome to the Forum Snakezilla. :wavey:

Peter

Hello [MENTION=301425]Snakezilla[/MENTION], thanks for your post. I have a new '16 Sport as well and have been considering clear bra too. I had it on my 2014 Raptor and was very pleased. I'd like to get the clear bra on the Explorer headlights fairly quickly before they get much UV exposure. Question for you... how did you handle the application of the clear bra over the "EXPLORER" badging across the front of the hood? I can't think of a way to handle it effectively without removing the badging, which would be a gigantic pain.

Hello [MENTION=301425]Snakezilla[/MENTION], thanks for your post. I have a new '16 Sport as well and have been considering clear bra too. I had it on my 2014 Raptor and was very pleased. I'd like to get the clear bra on the Explorer headlights fairly quickly before they get much UV exposure. Question for you... how did you handle the application of the clear bra over the "EXPLORER" badging across the front of the hood? I can't think of a way to handle it effectively without removing the badging, which would be a gigantic pain.

Hey chartquist, I also have a 3M front (here we call it PPV - paint protection vinyl wrap) and they make it specific for the sport with each individual letter cut out.
Mine was installed by a tint shop and they ordered it pre-cut and just had to apply (God bless their sole) because it must be tedious to ensure its applied perfectly for the lettering on the hood.

Hey chartquist, I also have a 3M front (here we call it PPV - paint protection vinyl wrap) and they make it specific for the sport with each individual letter cut out.
Mine was installed by a tint shop and they ordered it pre-cut and just had to apply (God bless their sole) because it must be tedious to ensure its applied perfectly for the lettering on the hood.

Wow, thanks [MENTION=293146]613GT500[/MENTION]. I didn't know they had pre-cut kits available. Can you possibly post or send a close up pic of how the final product ended up around the hood lettering?

Wow, thanks [MENTION=293146]613GT500[/MENTION]. I didn't know they had pre-cut kits available. Can you possibly post or send a close up pic of how the final product ended up around the hood lettering?

Even better, here's a pic of what the pre-cut clearshield looks like

2016_Ford_Explorer_Sport_UL_Cut.png

That is too cool.......How much was the kit in Canuckastan?

That is too cool.......How much was the kit in Canuckastan?

I negotiated it as a freebie as part of my purchase, but saw the invoice the dealer paid to the shop around $800 (material + labour).
10yr warranty replacement for discolouration if it turns yellow and or forms large bubbles/voids.

I paid $700 cash for my front end protection plus door cups and top of the rear bumper using Xpel Ultimate which I highly recommend this product or Suntek if you have available dealers. Amazing thing about the higher end films like Xpel Ultimate, etc is that they're self healing after a little from small scratches, etc while in the sun.

Congrats on the new vehicle! Sounds like you picked my favorite options for the Sport! Enjoy!!!

Looks like you're a Mustang fan too! Can't have too many of those here! ; )

Thank you! Yes I am a mustang fan:thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum Snakezilla. :wavey:

Peter

Thank you sir! The name is from the mustang forums. I figured I should use the same name.:chug:

Hello, I went with a Suntek clear bra. It's self healing if you have scratches and is very glossy like a brand new paint job. As stated below the explorer lettering is precut and fits nicely around it. I paid $900 for theeverthing. However this included hood, fenders, bumper, lower bumper panel, headlamps, fog lamps, side view mirrors and the 2 front windows. This is a great investment if you keep your vehicles longer than most and if you hate rock chips like myself. Our Maxima has had its clear bra for 9 years and is still in great shape. A little wax on the bra once in a while will help it last many more years past its warranty. Let me know if you have any other questions.:chug:

That kit is nice but on the sport the lower part of the bumper under the license plate bracket is also painted black. You want to make sure they cover that piece also because it's low to the ground and will take more damage than the rest.

That kit is nice but on the sport the lower part of the bumper under the license plate bracket is also painted black. You want to make sure they cover that piece also because it's low to the ground and will take more damage than the rest.

I agree and should have noted the pic I posted was just an example of what's available and to show the cut out portion of hood lettering.
My installation also covers that lower painted piece, plus lower portion of the fenders.

This stuff looks great.... what's the brand... going to try to locate it up here in Toronto....

This stuff looks great.... what's the brand... going to try to locate it up here in Toronto....

Hello! The film in the picture I believe is a 3M which I had a great experience on my wife's maxima. That film is 10 years old and still look good on the car. The one on my sport is a Suntek film. The reason I went with Suntek is because that's what my local tint shop uses. Both films have workedgreat for me. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Hello! The film in the picture I believe is a 3M which I had a great experience on my wife's maxima. That film is 10 years old and still look good on the car. The one on my sport is a Suntek film. The reason I went with Suntek is because that's what my local tint shop uses. Both films have workedgreat for me. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Thanks!!

Back