New Memeber/Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Memeber/Advice

hunhntr

Reaction score
New Member/Advice on Lift Kits

Yo. I'm new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. Anyway, I'm a bird hunter and I got stuck in Central Washington's Quilomene Wildlife Area on Saturday and it cost me $600 to get pulled out (although the extraction vehicle, which was specially built for this purpose, couldn't make it all the way to where I was in my stock Explorer with LT235/75R/15 studded Kumho Venture MTs). What I need to travel in the deep snow and ice where I hunt is a lift kit. I'd like to get at least 2" more ground clearance and try to keep the ride somewhat civil, since I ususally drive 4-5 hours on highways to get to the hunting grounds and comfort is a nice thing to have. I've been thinking about the Trailmaster 4" suspension lift and some 32" tires but I've heard that Superlift has a 4" kit and maybe also Rancho. Any suggestions? Could I get 33" x 9.5" on for the winter with any of these? I would drop back to 32"x11.5" for the summer.

What other modifications would/should I need to make?

[Edited by hunhntr on 01-08-2001 at 09:08 AM]

I am by no means an expert..far from it...but I am pretty sure from reading this board that the only way to get added ground clearance is through increased tires size. The only reason you need to "lift" your vehicle is to be able to fit the larger tires...but I also learned that you can fit a 31" tire on a stock explorer, so you could possibly fit 32's or 33's with only an add-a-leaf or shackles. A much cheaper and easier alternative to a lift kit.

my advice...re-post this question in the "lifts/suspension forum"

Well, I'd like to welcome you to the site. I'm sure someone somewhere will have the info you're looking for. Thats the beauty of this site, the membership is so large and diverse there are basically experts on everything from the industry itself to gas caps!

Welcome, and dont hesitate to drop myself or any of the other moderators a line if you feel there is a way we can help you personally.

Back