• Register Today It's free!

New muffler

MustangShane

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4dr XLT 4x4.
Since April 3rd when I went wheeling I have been running with no muffler. "Dozer" the trail groomer, decided to deposit the stock muffler into a mud bank on some state land. So this gave me the opportunity to buy a new one. So being given the opportunity I chose the Dynomax Ultra flow muffler. I have used Dynomax mufflers in the past and been VERY pleased with the longevity and sound of their mufflers. So I inspected the pipe to see if it could be reused and on the end of it was the inlet to the stock style muffler.
The pipe was in very good condition to my suprise (considering the old muffler). Now here's the part that kind of shocked me. The stock inlet pipe was about 5" long and half of that was inside the muffler (at one time). But right before the pipe ended it angled down from a 2 1/4" O.D. to something around 1 1/2". My thought was that if you had a 2 1/4" inlet that it was just the size of the muffler, and the only real difference between it and a performance one was internal design. But obviously this is not so.
Well after all this I used a grinding wheel and peeled this piece off the good pipe. I guess I could have just placed it inside my new muffler to give it that "stock" feel. But it seemed pointless to me. Now what a difference it made and even more rightly so, after learning what I did. The increased flow has made this 4.0l a little more peppy and kind of feel like it's come alive. Of course I really EXpected this since it happened every time I've replaced a factory style with a Dynomax. :cool:

Back