• Register Today It's free!

new rear bumper complete

skoobydoobiedew

Reaction score
City, State
St. Paul, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
Finished my custom tube bumper last week. took 2 full days of fab. work. It all started with an ad in the paper for a *pickup reciever hitch $15* so i checked it out.. bought it.. turns out it was a class 5 hitch for an old dodge truck. I figured i could always use a $15 hitch. i ended up shortening it and it slid right into my rear frame rails... except then i couldnt use my rear stock bumper.. so i decided to fab up a tube one. then i thought.. why not move my spare up there? so the project began. i knew i wanted a good aproach angle, tow points, 2" hitch, tire carrier, cb antenna mount, hi-lift jacking points, and i didnt want it to look toooo redneck ;) . so with that in mind... i started cutting. i made it out of 2 1/2" steel tubing with 45 degree miters in the corners. the tire carrier is 1" tubing. tubing seems a lot harder to work with than square stuff.. but the look i got was exactly what i was going for. anyways! enough talk! here are some pictures! i plan to have it coated with truck bedliner, but ill wait until i finish my front bumper and roof rack so i can get them all done at once.. so the black paint is only temporary. enjoy! and tell me what you think!! thanks!!

pictures:
www.cardomain.com

-joey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good!

hey man that is a really clean bumper WHO WANTS TO MAKE ONE IDENTICAL to that for me on an o1 sport....i love it nothing to gaudy but very functional... maybe you can make one for me... no body welds around here for cheaper than like 400 bucks... but what size tire is that it looks like a donut out the back of a civic or sumthing... jk but it looks small

haha thanks! but to ship something like that would cost mucho $$ :/ but yea thats the stock size spare 235/75/r15 which comes out to be about 29". as soon as i get 33"s im getting a full size spare, so i left extra room for that. but overall im happy with it! i cant wait to make a front one and then a roof rack, then rock sliders! thanks for your input!
-joey

wanna make me a CB antenna mount bracket? i tried to weld at my friends shop the other day and burnt the crap out of my hand.....or else id do it myself.

i actually bought my aluminum cb bracket. I went to a truck stop and they had a whole stand full of different length antennas. i picked the 3 foot because it wasnt too small, but wasnt too big. its called a *mirror mount* one. so its made to mount around a round bar. i just got longer bolts and bolted the two c-shaped sides together around my tire carrier tube (1") works great and i can always remove it and mount it somewhere else. id look around at some truck stops if you can. they usually have that kind of stuff. that or radioshack. hope this helps! any more input?!?
-joey

forgot to say, looks REALY nice, actualy looks like it was profesionaly made to me, thx for the advice....i dont think i know of any truck stops around here....which really surprises me because my city is the "salad bowl" of the world........maybe another local on here could direct me to one.

definetly nice, i wish i had the skill and ability to do that. good job!

Nice job on the bumper, can't wait to see the front one. What do you have planned for that one? Also, nice looking girl you got there. ;)

thanks! the front one should be similar to the rear but instead of the tire carrier ill just fab up a light bar mount that extends in front of the lights. Ive had my fog lights up front knocked loose a few times and got lucky they didnt break. so i think ill make something to push brush aside to protect them. also, like the rear.. it will have a 2" reciever hitch. this way, in the future i can buy a winch and use the multi-mount reciever hitch mount and use the winch front or rear. right now im working on my roof rack. its made out of 1" o.d. stell tubing. im about halfway done so when i get pics ill make sure to post those too, probably in a different thread so its not confused. but stay tuned! then rock sliders, and finally my front bumper! thanks for the comments!! especially the one about my girlfriend.. lol.. thanks Fox ;)
anymore thoughts? ideas? thanks!

-joey

Back