New roof rack! - After only pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New roof rack! - After only pics

Here are pics of my ST with my new roof rack. Let me know what you think of it. I designed and built it myself. I needed something that wouldn't interfere with my sun roof at all, yet still be able to haul all kinds of just... And yes, there is enough room for a 36" spare tire if I ever have the energy to throw it up there!!!
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice. I miss my Sport Trac R.I.P

nice.. very clean job... matching color is cool too..

Great job that looks sweet:D

Brian... Yeah I liked your ST. Very cool. I was actually thinking of making a spare tire mount on the toneau like what you had... R.I.P.

Your sport trac looks awesome...How did you make the roof rack? Write-up?

The rack was made from 14 gage 1" OD mild steel and expanded metal. I measured the roof and based the basket on the dimensions from the sun roof back (so I wouldn't interfere with the sun roof opening). Then, I welded some 3/8" rod in place between the openings to help keep junk in the basket itself. The worst part was tacking it in place ON TOP of the truck!!! I bolted the mounting plates to the roof and set the rack in place. A little scary... but it worked out and looks good I think!!!

great work man

nice design and fab work, looks very profesional :thumbsup:

BADASS!

very nice!

how much did it weigh?

looks very nice. i like the curved type overhang in the back. great job!

the hidden winch looks awesome too!

Thanks for the compliments. The rack weighs about 50-60lbs. Not too terrible and manageable by one person.

Looks awesome, nice job! I love seeing custom work and lifted STs!

Looks good.
Keep us informed, I wanted to build a rack out of steel to keep the cost down and everyone said no because eventually it would rust and run down my truck, like you see utility vans that have rust running down the side. So, I am curious if it actually does rust.

addkev.. if you seal it good by painting or whatever.. you shouldn't have a problem. if you look closely at bigmellon's rack (heh.. that sounds funny) there are no open ends of the tube. that in itself seals the inside. if you use steel, just make sure you don't leave the ends of the tubes open and paint it well.

i'm in the process of making an aluminum one only because of the weight difference and because we have lots of scrap here. if you finish it properly, there isn't a reason to worry about rust.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
if you look closely at bigmellon's rack (heh.. that sounds funny)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That is funny. :D

So, what you are saying is that you like my rack? Sweet....

The rack is E-coated and then powder coated. I am not anticipating any rusting problems as the E-coat is an electrically applied primer in a bath. Cost was VERY low. The materials cost about $60 to build it....

looks tight- Are you running 36s? They don't look that big. I like your truck. I liked brians too. I would cry if I broke one of those things wheeling though, they're too expensive and cool. Aquaman makes me sick to my stomach, eh what's a truck for right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i really like that... i wish that was sold i would buy one..

Back