new tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new tires?

Everyone has gotten up and out it seems recently to ditch their old firestones recently, not that I blame anyone for doing that.

The other day I had my tires checked by my dealership, the numbers on my tires are indeed the tires having the tread problem. I am trying to replace them ASAP.

After a day of looking, 3 tires have came into the question, the Dunlop Rover, the Michelin LTX and the BFG ATs.

Now this is my delima.. I really really like the BFGs, but every tire shop I have been to has either badmouthed them, or said that since I'm not a "heavy offroader" I don't need them. Well this may be true, but it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I have my heart set on the BFGS, but there is still this ringing in my ear "you don't need them" So I decided perhaps you all could help me.

I do not want the best on-road tire in the world, I want something that has decent performance on road, but looks good, and can get itself out of an occasional muddy situation if the need comes. so, at last.. heres my question:

Are thew BFGS... louder on the road, have better wet traction, ride in comparison to the Firestone wildernesses that I currently have?

I REALLY appreciate it.. this message is HUGE, but I wanted to complete the thought.

tires

I, too, considered the BFG KOs....

Beautiful tire, really.....I wantedt hat one too....But two things changed my mind.....

1) They didnt have 5 at the place I went to....they would have had to order them.......I wanted the Firestones off NOW!!!!!!

2) The didnt have any treadwear warranty at all....

SO, I got the DInlop Radial Rovers.......

SWEET tire.....I got the 30x9.50x15 size.......I have had them before on different trucks........

Good hiway performace, just noisy enough to let you know they are there, but not obnoxious....in facta "nice" hum, if you ask me........really good off-road performance, though definately NOT a "mudder" tire.........

I have used them on sand, mud, snow, dirt...........performed well in all..........

And the 30x9.50s are "LT", so they are a tougher tire than the 235x75 version..........

Good luck!

Back