New to offroading - couple of questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to offroading - couple of questions

carter1125

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ranger FX4
Hey everyone!!

I have an '02 FX4 and I'm looking to start offroading. I'm just looking for something other than paved roads to start. Is there anyone here that's in the TN area? I'm sure there are places around here, but I sure can't find them!!

I've read many posts on what tires will/will not fit on my truck. I currently have 31x10.5's. From what I've read, 33x10.5's will fit without any mods. Eventually I'd like to get 33x12.5's, but it seems that I'll need to get some sort of lift for that size tire.

Are there different kinds of lifts for body and suspension? From some of the pics that I've seen, it looks like you can fit a larger tire by lifting the front to level it with the rear. Is that the case? What does it take to do it?

I know this last question may be a little broad, but any information you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve

If you just want to level the front out with the rear all you need to do is crank the torsion bars a little. There are many suspension lift kits and body lifts available for the rangers. You might want to go check out Offroadrangers.com . They can tell you anything you want to know. And welcome to the site.

You may be able to fit 33x10.5s if you trim the fenders a little. The national forests are a great place to wheel.

I'm running 33's on my STX, with 2" of lift up front, rubbing the radius arms though

Back