No money, and a mystery problem

2stroke

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Sport
I was really hoping to not have to ever come back on here again, but my explorer is at it again. I have a 1994, and it is randomly loosing power. Basically it will run just fine for some amount of time. Then randomly it will just loose power. If cruising you will be fine for who knows how long, then out of the blue you start loosing speed, then BAM full power again. It usually only lasts for seconds, maybe 10 seconds. If it happens at a stop light, you might not even notice until you try to go. You get a nice blah as you floor it with now torque. Again it will then just hit you with full power instantly and with no warning. Some days I can go a hundred miles without a hiccup. Some I can't get across town easily. At idle it can randomly switch how it runs. Usually it starts fine, then it can either go "Harley mode" where it has a miss and idles like a motorcycle, or even have this really rough lope. I don't remember it ever stalling though, and usually driving off smooths it out. As far as I know it only has the one code, which was 335 if I remember right. I put some tape over it because I was sick of looking at it.:D Its had this problem for over a year, and it started out not that bad. It got worse over time. Now I'm just sick of it more than anything. Its something I could live with, but Its really annoying. I just want this thing to stay running well so I can run it until it blows up. The dang thing just won't have a major failure. Is it wrong that I think sending a rod, and bursting into flames sounds like a fitting end to the explorer? First I'll say what I've tried. Fuel pressure was low, so I replaced the fuel pump and filter, and it made a huge improvement on how it runs, but it still does the random loss of power. Cleaned MAF, air filter, IAC, and whatever else I could get my hands on. Its possible, but I doubt its the EGR valve. Its about 20,000 miles old. A code came up saying EGR voltage was higher or lower than expected. I replaced the DPFE with little change in the condition. Something I'll have to do, but I doubt it will have any affect is a PCV valve. It leaks some oil on the left exhaust manifold, so I'm assuming the PCV is bad. I don't know why that would ever affect how it runs. One thing I haven't done is replaced my thermostat. It is kind of sticky, so it gets to a little over half temp, then opens and drops to about a third. I would like to replace it with a 180 degree (for my own reasons) thermostat, just haven't yet. Still, probably not at problem. It would make sense that it was a FPR. Problem is that I disconnected the bottom line and waited a good 5 minutes, and now gas ever came out. So now I'm down to a few things. An O2 sensor, possibly a bad MAF sensor (I would think the problem would be much worse, and would throw a code of its own), maybe some vacuum leak, but I'd think it would be more constant.

Its funny, I deal with this well over a year, and the day after I post this, I may have fixed it. It was a bad day, where it would barely drive at all. I just couldn't get it to go. I looked it over a hundred times. Still the exhaust smelt... wrong. Just like that it hit me that the cats could be clogged. Having no money, all I did was pop off the pipe to the muffler, get a hammer and a tube, and beat the stuff right out of the cats. When I pulled the pipe out it was covered in goo, but there is a big hole running through it now. Technically not legal, but I won't even bat an eye, how would anyone tell? Almost instantly I noticed an improvement. That and its really loud because I kind of screwed up the pipe to the muffler. I drove it around for half an hour without a hiccup. Got gas, realized I got about 13 mpg highway when it was bad, and it continued to run good after startup. Now I just need to get the muffler back on, and quit worrying about it. It makes sense that it would cause a lack of power. I still don't get two things. One, how come it wasn't all the time? It was intermittent at best, until recently. Two, how come when the power hit, it just HIT?

Back
Top Bottom