• Register Today It's free!

No more pinging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StickmanC

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
It seemed like my X was on it's last leg about a week ago. The temp gauge started fluctuating, going from just in the normal range to the 3/4 mark. I was also losing tranny fluid. I replaced the vacuum diaphram on the tranny and took care of the missing tranny fluid. Drained the oil ( had about 7 quarts in the crankcase from sucking up tranny fluid ) put in fresh oil. I changed the thermostat and no more fluctuation.
Nothing special I know, but the weird part is now I have no pinging, like when I bought the truck 3 years ago. I guess that tranny fluid was playing he** with the gas.:confused:
If your X is pinging, roll underneath and pull the vacuum hose off the tranny diaphram and see if any fluid runs out. Mine showed no evidence of sucking up the fluid at the vacuum tee on the intake, but I knew my X has no leaks and I knew it had do be the problem. I know this is a long shot for most of the pinging problems, but all I can tell you is that is what was making mine ping. I think now I will invest for new tires, RA bushings and fix the speedo;)

Had to replace mine last year, big difference, when doing the bushings see Hank for the daystars, that's what I put on, really made a huge difference.

And think how clean your crankcase is

after your tranny/oil flush!

Back