Notchy Tire Rotation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Notchy Tire Rotation?

Cranmaro99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Hey all, quick question. I have a 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD Limited.

I've been doing a lot of work on the car lately to keep it up to date, and while I was replacing the rear end pinion seal, (and while the car was jacked up off the ground) I spun all 4 tires by hand to see if they spun freely.

The fronts spun fine, but both rear tires had rough spots in the rotation. The best way to describe it, is that the wheels had a notchy feel every 1/4 rotation.

I asked my mechanic friend if this was a sign of the rear end limited slip going out or if its how the limited slip worked (I only spun one wheel at a time) and he wasn't sure. The rear tires still spun but they always seemed to hit a friction point a few times every full spin, so they wouldn't spin as freely as the front wheels. Also I'm not sure if this has to do with the AWD transfer case as well.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a bit like going to the doctor and saying "it hurts when I do this" and the doctor saying "then don't do that...". But seriously, with limited slip and AWD it's hard to say what it should feel like when to turn one wheel. I'd check your u-joints and if their okay and there's no noises while driving I wouldn't worry about it. By the way, factory limited slip works with clutches in the differentrial.

Hey all, quick question. I have a 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD Limited.

I've been doing a lot of work on the car lately to keep it up to date, and while I was replacing the rear end pinion seal, (and while the car was jacked up off the ground) I spun all 4 tires by hand to see if they spun freely.

The fronts spun fine, but both rear tires had rough spots in the rotation. The best way to describe it, is that the wheels had a notchy feel every 1/4 rotation.

I asked my mechanic friend if this was a sign of the rear end limited slip going out or if its how the limited slip worked (I only spun one wheel at a time) and he wasn't sure. The rear tires still spun but they always seemed to hit a friction point a few times every full spin, so they wouldn't spin as freely as the front wheels. Also I'm not sure if this has to do with the AWD transfer case as well.

Thoughts?
Maybe it's the all wheel drive sensing slip?. That's what it's suppose to do. Could be wrong thou.

This is a bit like going to the doctor and saying "it hurts when I do this" and the doctor saying "then don't do that...". But seriously, with limited slip and AWD it's hard to say what it should feel like when to turn one wheel. I'd check your u-joints and if their okay and there's no noises while driving I wouldn't worry about it. By the way, factory limited slip works with clutches in the differentrial.

Haha I know, I've just worked on GM rear ends so I wasnt sure of the differences.

Maybe it's the all wheel drive sensing slip?. That's what it's suppose to do. Could be wrong thou.

Exactly what I was thinking so I wasnt sure. There are no noises or whines, and the AWD works great (tested in the snow this last winter), so I'm just going to say all is well and drive it.

Haha I know, I've just worked on GM rear ends so I wasnt sure of the differences.

Exactly what I was thinking so I wasnt sure. There are no noises or whines, and the AWD works great (tested in the snow this last winter), so I'm just going to say all is well and drive it.

Giver,LOL.

Did you only have 1 wheel off the ground at a time, if so I suspect you were turning the driveshaft and thus the viscous couple which allows some slip like that, completely normal operation.

Did you only have 1 wheel off the ground at a time, if so I suspect you were turning the driveshaft and thus the viscous couple which allows some slip like that, completely normal operation.

The entire car was lifted in the air on a lift.

Back