Noticed coolant leaking, reservoir empty. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noticed coolant leaking, reservoir empty.

runningonfords

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT RRM
So, as the title says I was doing a bunch of front end work today. The new tie rod end solved the bonking noise I got when moving the steering wheel back and forth at a stop, which is great and a safety issue fixed! :hammer: I just noticed working in the dark finishing up here that there is coolant dripping all down the front of engine passenger side. In fact, the coolant expansion reservoir is empty too. I topped it off and will begin searching tomorrow, but is there a good chance this is what I think it is (water pump failure)? I checked the dipstick and the oil looks like oil, not milky. Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check around the AC compressor. If its dripping from the top there it more than likely is the waterpump weep hole leaking.

Clean everything up and refill the reservoir. Let it run and watch closely to see where its leaking

Check around the AC compressor. If its dripping from the top there it more than likely is the waterpump weep hole leaking.

Clean everything up and refill the reservoir. Let it run and watch closely to see where its leaking
Thanks, will do. Now where is my telescoping mirror on a stick?

Thanks, will do. Now where is my telescoping mirror on a stick?
You don’t really need that. Just peek underneath if it’s actively dripping. If it’s dripping off of the a/c compressor you’ve got a leaking water pump. And, if you feel like tackling it yourself, I posted a step-by-step thread

Could be as simple as tightening up your hose clamps, the coolant hose sprung a leak at the water pump outlet/thermostat housing just the other day. Installed new hoses a year ago with a timing set / water pump replacement, the rubber will compress and require tightening up on the clamps for a good seal. Believe it or not, the radiator cap gave up the ghost the same day - pretty sure it was the original on my '01.

Well, its pouring rain, but I did my best to get out there and look. From the bottom its definitely seeming to come from the area behind the alternator. At one point awhile ago I was able to use my mirror and look at that stupid weep hole. I can't seem to find it now. Go figure. I guess I gotta tow it to the dealer now. Does anyone by chance know of a good metro Detroit mechanic that does these water pumps?

I had something similar happen with mine and it looked like it was on the passenger side somewhere. What I found was a plastic T fitting on the heater hose on the passenger side had cracked and was leaking. I believe I ordered a 1" brass, barbed T fitting and got hose clamps from auto parts store to fix the problem. I'm not saying this is your problem, but I would look at it closely. The pic Is from an 08 expedition but it shows the fitting I am talking about.

Screenshot_20221128_201038_Google.jpg

Back