O/D Off indicator light

Squilax

Reaction score
City, State
Holtwood, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi all...

I have the Overdrive Off option on my 2002 Explorer.

Recently the O/D Off indicator light on the dash started flashing not blinking steadily, but more like a flickering on and off flash - very rapid.

I took it into my mechanic and there is nothing wrong with the transmission, but he was unable to get the light to stop flashing.

It does not come on when I start the engine, but after about 10 minutes of driving it will come on.

Now that I know there is nothing that needs to be checked out with the transmission, I would really like to know how to get this light to stop flashing as it is distracting and annoying.

Any clues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a sensor somewhere that controls this? Can it be checked to make sure it is working correctly and not defective?

A relay maybe?

This is still really annoying.

I actually clocked when it comes on - not when I start the engine, but after i drive between 2.5 and 3 miles. It will suddenly come on and remain on as long as the engine is running. Once I cut the engine it won't come back on until I drive 2.5 to 3 miles again.

Anyone got any ideas???

seems like a short or something. The mechanic wasn't able to retrieve any codes?

Nope, didn't show any codes on the scan tool for this one.

Well here's another question... does your instrument panel beep randomly? I know that with the 02's and 03's there's a TSB for instrument clusters going bad.

My 02' did the same thing and it wasnt long after wards the tranny went Ka'put!!!

This happened with mine it was the torque converter, that fixed the problem but it wasn't long after i had to do the trans

Just had the same OD light blink on my truck.

It was blinking on the FDR downtown for about 3 miles. I restarted the truck when I got off and the light was off. I was able to take the BQE home (7 miles) without any incident with the OD light again.

Very weird.

I am driving back into Manhattan again later today traveling the same route and this morning, lets see if it occurs again.

UPDATE:

Ford Server Center scanned my truck and came up with the following codes for the rapid blinking OverDrive light:

PO741 and PO743

the codes were for the solenoid in the tranny and the torque converter. My warranty company wanted the Ford service to diagnose the tranny more and not replace both. Basically warranty guys were counting pennies and trying not to spend money. Solenoid resistance were out of spec as per inspection by tech.

Work done:
transmission solenoid replaced. Replaced fluid, filter and pan gasket and friction modifier added.

My dealer really wanted to replace the torque converter too, but warranty wanted one step at a time.

On the drive home my overdrive light started blinking again.

I called Ford they contacted the warranty center. Now I have to go back Monday for what most likely will be a tranny replacement, because Ford thinks I have more issues than just the torque converter. The truck will be scanned again and I will give you guys an update.

From what Ford tells me they have this issue and would normally just swap the tranny, because other issues maybe have come up because of the failing torque converter and solenoid.

price for today's work was just over $970. I payed $83 for fluids and filter (not covered).

Update:

Torque Converter replaced.
All is well. Took a sixty mile trip, most of it over 60mph and no blinking OD light.

RPMs are now just 2krpm at 70mph. Before my rpms ran very high all the time. At 65mph rpms were over 2krpm.

Back