• Register Today It's free!

O2 sensor slow response?????

sadgreyghost

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville , Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
My C.E.L was on so to AutoZone I went. The code said Oxygen sensor slow response. Perplexed I am. Which O2 sensor. They aren't cheap enough to just change them all. If it is just a "slow response" is there any way to narrow it down? I am seeing a really good excuse to buy some of that really cool new software that will allow you to find this crap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is frustrating when someone merely gives us on here what the guy at autozone said, and not the actual code number. Half the time the number means more than what the AZ folks tell ya, or thy tell ya somewhat wrong. They provide a valuable service - but, GET THE CODE NUMBER! Anyway...Here is how the slow response code is set - On each drive cycle the computer will at some point vary the mixture intentionally, and see how fast the O2 sensor(s) "crossover" the threshold votage (.445v) in response. If the response is not what the computer expects to see in terms of rate of crossover, it sets that code. Lazy 02 sensors are probably one of few FEW good reasons to replace them. And this is JUST the upstream sensor mind you.

I apoligise for not getting the actual code number. I guess we will put it down to a rookie mistake. When you say "upstream sensor" Do you mean before the y pipe? I am buying an OBD2 scanner to try to speed this process up because at 154,000 miles I am getting the C.E.L on alot. I am also starting my A.S.E school in the fall.

To save you posting again, they should tell you the code# or tell you both the Bank# and Sensor# for the sensor. "Bank 1" is the passenger side and "Sensor 1" (they have to tell you both) is before the cat converter. This method identifies up to four sensors.

Thank you very much

Check out the post on computer engine control, closeby

Back