• Register Today It's free!

O2 sim ?'s

z7199

Reaction score
City, State
Houston Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Z71
First off I am new to the board and was wondering about these explorers. My buddy has a 2000 2wd explorer V6 he is having a problem with it. The check engine light is on and is giving the O2 sensor code. The Cat is Glowing Red when it is running and it pops and backfires. I was thinking about hollowing out the Cat and putting on O2 sims. However I dont know if they make O2 sims for these trucks. Do they? Any and all help is apprecaited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any vehicle that comes equipped with O2 sensors, there WILL be replacements available. If the cat is glowing red, that will probably need replaced soon.
Gut the cat? I wouldn't....

What is the exact CEL code?

And the CAT actually glowing red? That is a little far fetched.

gavin said:
any vehicle that comes equipped with O2 sensors, there WILL be replacements available. If the cat is glowing red, that will probably need replaced soon.
Gut the cat? I wouldn't....

DO you know where I could find some O2 sims?

I have gutted alot of cats and they have always been fine. Why do you say not to gut it?

I am not really fimialar with this motor.

We had a cat glow red hot on a f-150 a few years ago. My little brother was trying to learn to drive a stick at the time and It hought he was doing something to it to make it keep dying. The cat was plugged almost completely. After removal (illegally) he could drive the truck just fine.

I don't know if it was hooked to a CEL though. I never saw a light or anything.

Robb said:
What is the exact CEL code?

And the CAT actually glowing red? That is a little far fetched.

YES THE CAT IS GLOWING RED I AM NOT THAT DUMB. I guess you have never had this problem huh? Ever done ANY exhaust work? Not trying to be rude but I hate it when someone basically calls me a lair. I will get PICS for you if needed

I dont have the actual code in front of me but it is one for a O2 sensor

Brian_B said:
We had a cat glow red hot on a f-150 a few years ago. My little brother was trying to learn to drive a stick at the time and It hought he was doing something to it to make it keep dying. The cat was plugged almost completely. After removal (illegally) he could drive the truck just fine.

I don't know if it was hooked to a CEL though. I never saw a light or anything.

Robb yet another glowing red cat story guess his is far fetched also huh?

z7199 said:
Not trying to be rude
Yes you are, but that is another story. I am in a nice phase right now, so I will play along.

Sure, exhaust systems do block up with enough time, and enough crap run through them, causing the CAT to overheat and glow red. Mufflers clog, CATs clog, etc, this stuff does happen. My comment about it being far fetched, was in reference to you describing this happening on a 5 year old vehicle. CATs clogging up after 5 years IS rare, unless complete crap gas has been run through it its whole life. Did I say you were lying? Nope, sure didn't............I just think a clogged CAT after five years of use is rare.

And why would someone suggest not to gut a CAT? CATs are there to protect our environment from escaping harmful gases. Simply gutting a CAT is destroying the environment. Hi-flow CATs are available, and recommended.

Outside of a direct restriction in the exhaust system, for anyone to help you here, we need the exact OBDII code, and what engine is in it? There were two completely different 4.0L V6s offered in '00.

Or, you can just continue being rude, and no one will help you.

You can also buy O2 sims from Jegs.com.

A CAT glowing red like that is a result of the engine running really rich. You could try various "band-aid" fixes like you're suggesting, or you could figure out why the engine is running rich and fix that.

One thought on O2 sims, I thought O2 sims were strictly for the post-CAT O2 sensors?

White97Jimmy said:
Z7199...don't let them get to you...

I have bought mine from Caspers..

Here is a link for the Ford Explorers https://www.casperselectronics.com/...OD&Product_Code=104039&Category_Code=Explorer

You can buy single or double, singles are $45.

When you bought yours did you use the cats or not The description says that they need to be used with O2 sensors and hight flow cats.

On another note I have fixed all other problems on the Truck "coil packs" "wires" "plugs" and these things did help tremendously. However I am pretty sure the cat is clogged up. The truck does have 135K on it so even thoughg it is a 5yr old truck it still has ALOT of miles.

Your cat IS plugged form running too rich because of a faulty O2S. Change the O2S and the cat, problem solved.
PEACE

Back