OD light

chuckwagon101

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer sport
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Sport.

The OD light comes on after driving a certain number of miles....it varies anywhere from 12 miles to 80 miles.

When the light starts flashing I notice no change in highway driving.

However...when come to a stop and take off the gears shift from 1st...2nd.....3rd...etc in rapid succession. I don't get up to 8 or 10 mph and I am in HIGH gear.

If I turn the vehicle off and restart.....the transmission shifts as it is supposed to for x number of miles and then this scenario repeats itself.

I had a rebuilt transmission put in when reverse went out. The OD light was flashing for a year before I replaced the transmission, so it is the same symptoms with the new transmission.

I can "get by" with the problem if it does not get worse.....but it is a nuisance.

I am a "shade tree" mechanic. Is this something that I might be able to fix or do I bite the bullet and take out a bank loan to have an auto shop repair it?

Thank you, Chuck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chuck, see if you can get the trouble codes read with a good scanner. Post back up and we can let you know what to do.

This has been going on for TWO YEARS. I had the transmission replaced because reverse went out but the light continues to flash as per my original post.

Not driving the vehicle is NOT an option. I have been driving it in this condition for the past two years.

There is no check engine light showing.............I had Auto Zone check for a trouble code and there was nothing.

^+1 Brooklyn. A pro level scanner is what you need. SnapOn or the like.

Chuck, I burned my Explorer down by driving it with a flashing TCIL...just like yourself, I showed no codes with my Actron. So I called my old boss to see if I could hook up to his SnapOn SOLUS Pro. I had just hung up the phone and was on my way to his shop when it went. Good thing I had a fire extinguisher within reach, the fluid was burning in the engine compartment and all along the undercarriage around the fuel tank. Not trying to scare you, just sharing a bad experience that I could have prevented.

^+1 Brooklyn. A pro level scanner is what you need. SnapOn or the like.

Chuck, I burned my Explorer down by driving it with a flashing TCIL...just like yourself, I showed no codes with my Actron. So I called my old boss to see if I could hook up to his SnapOn SOLUS Pro. I had just hung up the phone and was on my way to his shop when it went. Good thing I had a fire extinguisher within reach, the fluid was burning in the engine compartment and all along the undercarriage around the fuel tank. Not trying to scare you, just sharing a bad experience that I could have prevented.

Nothing burning in my vehicle. I can drive 80 miles or so and the od light will start flashing. I can restart the vehicle and drive 12 miles or 72 miles or any variation and it blinks again.

If it has not caught on fire in 2 years of this......I am not worried about a fire.

I would like to know what is causing the transmission to stop shifting whenever that light comes on.

We told you: get the codes read and THEN we can help. Now if I look into my crystal ball, id say torque converter clutch fault. But I'm sure there nothing wrong with YOUR vehicle, other than that pesky light.

Autozone's scanner can't read these kind of codes. You need a scanner which is capable of reading manufacturer specific transmission codes.

Hey BrooklynBay......who would have one of these scanners?

Thanks, but I am going to check with some more auto places. Surely to goodness there is someone that has a code reader that will work on this vehicle.

I will try O'Reilly and then AutoZone again.

Do you have any local transmission shops or general automotive repair shops? It might be cheaper to buy your own scanner than have one of them scan it for you. Some places will do it for free while others will charge $50 - $100.

Back