Solved - Odd mix of problems 97 Ranger ext cab XLT 4.0 A/T 4x4 SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Odd mix of problems 97 Ranger ext cab XLT 4.0 A/T 4x4 SAS

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Mean Gene

Reaction score
City, State
Ionia, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Ranger x cab SAS
Ok problems all started when I changed battery cable ends. Connections are tight, didnt use chimpy lead ends. Nothing arched, etc... no issues before, but now...
1, blower motor is constant on high. regardless of speed position. Even blows with resistor unplugged.
2, Airbag light flashing. one of the B series codes was loss of voltage, other is short to ground in impact sensor. Sensors ohm out good. Airbag fuse had blown, but will as its a fail safe as to not let bags deploy inadvertently.
3, Speedometer, odometer, and cruise inoperable. Shifting erratic as well. <-All related best i can tell...
Only common factor I can see is all share ground circuit G103. I wouldnt suspect GEM as scan tool showed no codes present today. But tested its wiring anyhow to make sure grounds and data link communication were ok and they are. Have tried cleaning all ground locatons under hood as well.
Any thoughts advice or suggestions would be amazing! Thanks

Found it!!! feed wire to blower motor had shorted to ground wire in circuit G103 on passenger side radiator support. It was feeding 12v to all accessories in that ground circuit

Great! Thanks for sharing the problem and solution, it may help someone else.

I hope it can be of help to someone. Cause man oh man was I goin nutz tryin to find it...

Back