Oil pressure gauge - Mechanical or Electrical? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pressure gauge - Mechanical or Electrical?

Lankhimself

Reaction score
City, State
Shirley, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Hey guys-
Now, don't get me wrong here, I know how to use the search function and I've been searching on here for an answer for close to two hours (no life, I know) but I'm in the midsts of a very considerable after-market gauge install. So far I have air/fuel, Water temp, tranny temp, voltage meter, and the last one I need to buy is oil pressure.

The question I have before I buy it is which kind would be better for an oil pressure gauge- Mechanical or Electrical? I've seen many members on here with the mechanical version, but a slim few with electrical. The thing I am worried most about would be that the autometer oil press gauges only come with about six feet of tubing.

Any imput as to what I should go with would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

Its really a matter of personal choice.

Most mech gauges are full sweep, while most elec gauges are short sweep. Elec have a large sending unit that can be difficult to install in a congested area.

Some people dislike having the tubing inside the passenger compartment, they worry about a possible leak and being sprayed with hot oil.

Select what complements the gauges you have now.

Some people dislike having the tubing inside the passenger compartment, they worry about a possible leak and being sprayed with hot oil.
You can go to your local hydraulic hose shop and have a braided steel hose made up to replace the supplied plastic. But you really don't need the mechanical unless you are into racing or competition where you need to see what your engine is doing.
For street use, an electical is fine, especially if you're going with a quality Autometer or other name brand.

I'm curious, did you wire these into your factory harness or straight from under the hood? I need to put gauges in my truck and I don't know where to start.

If I can pull this off, I'm going to do a full write up on installing
Speedo
tach
voltage
temp
fuel level
oil pressure

my goal is to eliminate as much of the factory harness as possible so when something isn't working I can trace my own wiring, but if it's easy enough I am willing to tap into the factory harness. I did away with my factory dash already so I need to get something in there.

There are full sweep (270 degree) electrical gauges, but most are only 90.

I use ISSPro brand gauges for my water temp and trans temp.. both are electrical and are 270 degree sweep..

I buy my gauges from egauges.com.. I've bought 3 gauges from them and they have good prices (sometimes great) and they ship fast.

~Mark

Back