Oil Pressure gauge not working? Or is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure gauge not working? Or is it?

94sportX

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 X Sport
Hi, I jsut bought a 94 X 4x4 Sport 2 days ago, and the whole time I figured it had great oil pressure since the gauge was always at the 3/4 mark on the drive home from the dealer. Well, i just noticed today that even when I turn the motor off, the oil pressure doesnt drop, it stays right there at 3/4.
Is this common for Explorers? Is it just the gauge that's broken?
I'm kinda worried, cause now I don't know how my oil pressure is. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its fine... those guages are a dummy guage... they dont do anything.... if your oil light comes on, then you ar ein trouble....

Wow, thats a relief, thanks! If anyone else has any more input, let me hear it too! :)

My oil gauge doesn't move for about the first 3 minutes I'm driving then it jumps up to about half way up.
I haven't had it fixed, but it is kind of annoying.
It makes my check gage light stay on until it jumps up.

If anyone has a quick fix I'm sure we'd both like to hear it.

Do a search for "fake oil pressure" and you will find a nice long thread about the fake oil pressure gauge on the first Gen X's.. (2nd gens also, but some of them have a version of the dash that can't be modified)

Erik,
I vaugly remember a few threads about oil pressure gauges that didn't move for a few minutes.. I "think" it was a gauge problem, but I'm not positive...

~Mark

Mine doesn't move for a few minutes when cold and hasn't for the last 30,000 miles or so...... I listen and hear no knock so it's getting the oil, and I quit worrying about it. I don't rev it up high until it reads just in case, though.

Back