• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure

sjjones

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4X4 XL
94 X running fine; however, on very rare occasion my oil pressure drops about halfway between normal and low. Happened again today and of course causes me great concern. Drive the care around for a few minutues, stop and start the X again and its back to normal. Every time this happens (once a month or so) it last for only a few minutes. I get out, check the oil which is always full, and worry about it for a minute or so until it corrects. Check Engine light never comes on and my scanner reflects all is fine.

In all respects the X runs fine. Can anyone tell me if this is a common issue with the 94? BTW, when it shows lower oil pressure, it is not out of the normal range, just about halfway between middle and low, only last a few minutes at most. Thanks.

replace your oil pressure sending switch, mine did that on my '95. it would move up and down when they aren't supposed to from the factory.

You can modify it to work like a real gauge but just putting a new switch in would work fine also. they are only about 10 bucks.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where and how difficult replacing the oil sensor is? My only concern about it being an oil sensor is that you would think a faulty sensor would not fluxuate; rather be on or off. Almost sounds like a wiring issue - unless I really do have low and fluxuating pressure :(

Anyway, the sensor is less than $20 and if its easy to replace, I'll do that if it isn't too difficult. Thanks.

The oil pressure gauge on my 94 does that too. Every once in a while it will drop to the lower end of the 'normal' range. As long as it's in the 'normal' range I am not concerned. 1st gen oil pressure gauge is basically just to indicate pressure or not, it's not accurate beyond that.

Back