Okay.... where is it?

steveissteven

Reaction score
City, State
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 SPORT
Okay everyone, I need some input here.

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer Sport. You may have read some of my previous threads. Anyway, the following have been repaired and/or replaced...

1. New VSS (vehicle speed sensor)
2. New tranny
3. New intake manifold gasket replace
4. New radiator / hoses / water pump / thermostat
5. New injectors (about a year ago)
6. New MAF
7. New brakes
8. New Electronic ignition system
9. New FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator)
10. New fuel pump
11. New O2's
12. New Catalytic Converter
13. New battery
14. New battery cables
15. New plugs and wires
16. New TPS (throttle Position Sensor)
17. New ECT (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor)
18. New Idle Control Valve
19. New Fuel Filter
20. New Air Temp Sensor

After much troubleshooting, and reading of the trusty Haynes Manual, I am wondering if maybe I have a bad Cam Position Sensor. According to the Haynes Manual, it is supposed to be located at the rear of the manifold where a distributor might normally sit. Apparently there is a three wire harness that attaches to the sensor and one bolt holding the assembly in place. I have used good lighting and those cool little mechanic mirrors to see where it might be, and guess what.... Nothing. There doesn't seem to be anything there. No sensor. No plate or cover where a sensor may have been. Nothing!!!

Am I looking in the right place. Does my vehicle even have one (According to haynes it is supposed to)?

Your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Camshaft Position Sensor didn't appear on the 4.0 until '94 or '95.

Steven, if you're still having that problem related to fuel level in the tank, I have a couple more straws for you to clutch at.

Try disconnecting the vacuum line for the charcoal cannister purge. Plug off the manifold side of the connection and try it like that.

One other thing that I have seen a couple of times is excessive alternator ripple..... the radio frequency energy emitted by the alternator can scramble the programming in the ECM. To check this you can either have the alternator pattern checked on a scope (best method) or disconnect the alternator harness and drive it that way.

Not sure if this will help, but it seems that when the truck does run correctly (And this isn't very often).....

The engine RPM's sit at about 800 and there is absolutely no fluctuation of the needle. It idles perfect! And yes, the truck drives perfect. Sometimes for as long as several hours. This is accompanied by smooth shifting, excellent gas millaege and and perfect idle!

When the vehicle runs like ****, however.... no power etc. / I've noticed it shifts gears much harder and often upon comming to a stop there is a noticeable final tug and/or clunk in the rear end. It's like I will come to a complete stop, and half a second later there is this clunk in the rear. This never happens when it runs correctly. In-Fact it shifts so fluid and easy that it is hard to detect when it even shifts.

I've also noticed that although vehicle drives like it is starved of fuel 90% of time, it is at its worst when cold outside. (For example... starting up first thing in the morning) If you put it into gear right away, RPM's drop to about 300 and it almost dies. As the vehicle warms up, it does begin to drive better... but not much.

It also seems to be true that when running like ****, you can hear it at the tailpipe. It sounds like it is sputtering.
When it runs well, however, there is no sputtering... just a nice continuous volume of exhaust air emitting from tail-pipe.

My IAC (Idle Air Control) valve controls engine idle. Does it effect driveability of vehicle and could it be the cause of a driveability concern such as what i am describing? (Hence.... no power at wide open throttle) and wanting to stall when put into gear when cold

Thanks again...

This Gremlin is really starting to frustrate me..

By the way / I deffinately have no Cam Position Sensor on a 1993 Explorer Sport?

What is the problem you are having? You should really keep your updates in the same post. Right now you have listed all the parts you have changed but there is no background on what the problem is. Find me the original thread and I will merge the two together.

Back