Out Of Gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Out Of Gas

adamwarner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT SOHC Auto AWD V6
My check Guage light always comes on about 30-40 miles before im going to run out of gas, but my gas gauge also is very innacurate near the bottom quarter of the tank. Today the light was not on, but the guage was in the position were i could tell it would be on soon. On the way to the gas station i felt the puttering and knew what was happening but i couldnt believe it!

So anyways the purpose of this post, Is there a fuse for the check guage light? Theres so many causes to what happend to me and im trying to narrow it down, the light never once came on during this tank of gas, but ive never had a problem with it when i was getting low, and also the guage went back up to full after i filled it. Anyone ever have something similar occur?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the ignition switch in the ON position and the truck not running, does the check gauge light illuminate? It may just be a burned out bulb.

Don't let it get down to empty. Fill when you get to a 1/4 tank.

You will kill your fuel pump by letting your tank go to empty all the time.

There is no fuse specifically for the "Check Gauge" light. The light is switched on by the anti-slosh module. If your gas gauge works as expected, it's highly likely the light bulb for the check gauge light is burned out.

To change the light blub, you'll need to gain access to the back of the instrument cluster.

Don't let it get down to empty. Fill when you get to a 1/4 tank.

You will kill your fuel pump by letting your tank go to empty all the time.

I usually dont let it get down, but were i live theres lots of places to go to that you wont see a gas station for a very long time, or the classic, nothings open past like 9 o'clock. So i've had a few close calls with gas. But this time the guage was close to E, but not far enough to trip the light. Atleast thats the theory im trying out right now, keeping track of my miles and gallons to see if the guage will get real low when its supposed to, il turn the key over later to see if it was the bulb, never thought about that, but if it is its not worth fixing. Il buy the bulb and put it someware till something more serious breaks and i need to get in the dash to fix it. *knock on wood*

The check guage light comes on when i turn the key over. So its either the guage or the accual sensor in the gas tank, il just try to keep my tank full from now on, running out of gas is one of the most embarassing unexpected things if it happends in the wrong place!

i had it happen on the ned of a long, deserted straight away once (alligator alley)....had to run the last mile to the gas station...thank god I was only a mile

Back