• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive question.....

Rags

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Still having problems with my overdrive....If I am going down the road at 55 and throw it in overdrive, it works fine...but when I come to a stop....there is nothing...engine justs revs up and no gear...Question is...I found out OD is electronic....Could it be that my altenator or voltage regulator isnt sending enough charge through at certain moments.....Has anyone heard of this or made this repair....I appreciate anyone that has the time....Rags

I think this may be relevant:

Dead Link Removed

Wow....that really makes sense...thanks for getting that site to me...much obliged!!!!!!!...Rags

If the Alternator isn't it, it could be bad.. When we lost the radiator and Water pump (same day) the motor/tranny got real hot.

Aftwards Overdrive would only work once we were moving..

I finally got it to the tranny shop last week and here is what they found wrong.. (keep in mind that by the time I got to the tranny shop.. It would start in 2nd gear.. and use drive.. but overdrive died on the way to the tranny shop.. didn't work even once moving)..

Burnt clutches
Burnt bands
Burnt washers
Bad Sprag
Bad Sun Gear
Bad overdrive gear
Blued metal throughout..

Turns out We killed it good this time.. needless to say, I now have a Tranny temp guage to put in it this weekend (and oil temp guage) so I can catch these things before they get bad..

Total cost on this rebuild is $1758.. Last one was $1300.. The rebuild lasted 90k miles and was working fine until the overheating incident.

~Mark

Back