• Register Today It's free!

overhead console broken

rossjames1699

Reaction score
City, State
fort worth, tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
I was driving down the highway and my overhead console in my 2007 Explorer came tumbling down. The plastic on the bracket that holds it on broke and it was hanging by wires. Took it to the dealership and they told me $807 to replace it. Anyone ever come acroos this and have any insight? I hate to shell out $800 for a few pcs of plastic. I have also had the visor replaced 3 times. Apparently the flip out on the mirror is not actually made to ope and the plastic would break every time. Thank you for any advice.:exp:

I would be looking for a used one!!! I'm sure it would be MUCH cheaper, probably $100-200 or so. Call some salvage yards to see if any have it. Look on www.car-part.com for some local places that might have Explorer parts. They might not have the console listed, but maybe look for an Explorer door and then call and ask about the console. They can search on their system also for parts at other places not listed on the internet. Might ask them if they can search for it.

My suspicion is that maybe it was removed at some point. Was yours bought new? Did it have any hail damage at any time? We bought ours from Fort Worth and it was a hail damage repair, and they removed the headliner to fix it. I have one of the coat hooks that is stripped because of it and won't stay in place. I just hope they reattached my overhead console securely!

Good luck!

Yea, STAY away from the dealerships, the **** of it all is, is that that 807$......about 100$ probably goes towards the new console, the rest gets pocketed between the 1 or 2 people who have to work theyre ***** off sitting in the seat to simply bolt/snap the new one in place, DEFF. try going to a scrap yard, or even a part out on the site somewhere to get one, even if its used.

Is yours broke or what? Does it still work, and its just not mounted? Maybe you could fab something BETTER up yourself...theres tons of strong glues and whatnot out now that could hold a ton of weight, see if you cant try that?

I did buy the car new. And I did have the dealer install a dvd player before i got the car. The screens are in the head rests and the wire was run into the console with a little box behind it. The plastic that attaches to the bolts is what is broken. Cracked into pieces. I will try checking with that website and checking local salvage yards. I would probably do better taking it to a car audio place and having them install it. Thanks for your help!

Back