oversized front license plate bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oversized front license plate bracket

KRN

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I just bought a standard sized chrome license plate (with my favorite sports team logo) for the front of my 2011 Explorer and installed it on the factory installed bracket, but the bracket mount is larger than the plate so it doesn't look finished. Anyone know why Ford's front license plate brackets are too big for a license plate? Does Ford sell oversized plates to fit their oversized plate mounting bracket? How about something that fits around a normal sized plate that fits inside the oversized bracket - kind of a bracket inside a bracket - anything like that out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a standard sized chrome license plate (with my favorite sports team logo) for the front of my 2011 Explorer and installed it on the factory installed bracket, but the bracket mount is larger than the plate so it doesn't look finished. Anyone know why Ford's front license plate brackets are too big for a license plate? Does Ford sell oversized plates to fit their oversized plate mounting bracket? How about something that fits around a normal sized plate that fits inside the oversized bracket - kind of a bracket inside a bracket - anything like that out there?
I don't have a problem with mine. They are dealer brackets and my plates, front and rear, which are 12"X6" fit perfectly.

My U.S front plate fits fine. Two tabs on the bottom catch the lower part of the plate, and two screws on top.

A picture of what you are talking about would help.

Mine is also way bigger than the plate. Bottom is good sits in thew tabs there. Sides are ok maybe just a little wider than the plate. Where it all goes wrong is the top. There is about 3/4 to an inch of bracket showing above the plate. If it was all centered it might not look as bad.

Just do what I did-- take the bracket off.

Yeah, I know... most states require it. Ehh, it's a fix-it ticket, and I've been cited once in my near 30 years of driving.

Oh, and if you do, you'll have two holes. Don't bother looking for expensive bumper plugs-- Ford has plastic rivets that they use for interior upholstery. They push into the holes perfectly, and even have a matte finish that matches the rest of the bumper. My parts guy game me two for free, so I bought him a soda from the machine. Fair trade!

How do you take the front licence plate bracket off ?

Back