• Register Today It's free!

Painting my 1992 Explorer Sport

Jaycee230

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 5-Speed Sport
I am painting my 1992 Explorer Sport this summer and I have a few questions that maybe you guys can answer!

- How much paint/primer/clear coat do I need?
- How many coats of paint/primer/clear coat should I apply?
- Is there anything else I need other than paint, primer and clear coat?

I am going to be using a paint gun with Rustoleum paint. The color I am going with is a glossy black, so I am going to be using a glossy clear coat with glossy black paint and a black or darker primer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would be curoius to know this too...i am not at all schooled in body work but id love to try my hand at painting my ex....il be keeping an eye on this one for some good info:D

ive seen 2 coats of primer 2 coats of paint and 1 coat of gloss look pretty damn good. just a warning black is THE hardest paint to apply you cant have extra aint on any part of the body or else it will sag really bad and be very visible. but good luck! hope it looks good when you get done.

I think theres a detailing painting forum. Might get better info there. Clear coat? All you need is the Krylon camo colors and you are ready to go!

i am also painting my 98 explo this summer.... last summer it had a pretty hard run in with a tree... i finaly got all the body wrk flush and evry thing lined back up!!!! i am also usen a paint gun and im hopen to paint it white with a blue flake. my question is what grit sand papper do i start with to take the org. paint off and then do i need to sand the primer? sand the 1st or 2nd coat of paint? or sand the clear coat. if i need to sand any of that the grit if any one kno would be wonderfull help. asked the guys about the grit at advanced today and he gave me a deer in the head light look...

Be careful with the number of coats you put on. I painted my explorer last summer with the duplicolor gloss black but figured 2 coats of the black was enough, I sprayed on the clear coat and when everything dryed my truck was satin black. Apparently to get a gloss finish you have to apply 3-4 coats of the color and 2 coats of clear. Make sure you find some info on how to apply your type of paint before making the same mistake I made.

sand the org paint off with some big grit then smooth it thn when it come to primer sand it with some mild gritt paper no sanding needs to be done with paint or gloss

the only experience I have is with automotive paints. I can't remember the brand of paint, but it doesn't matter if the paint is glossy or not, the clear is in charge of that.

At my Dad's shop (only experience I have, hes and RV technician) we use at least two coats of sandable primer. and wet sand the orange peel off of every layer after it dries for a couple hours. patience is key as to not take off too much material, but still get it smooth. we use a 600 grit I believe, something very fine.
after the primer, it takes 2-3 coats of your base color. set the gun up for good "atomization". you want good even coverage without splatter and minimal over-spray. paint with long steady strokes with a 50% overlap on each pass, and try to get it so air is ALWAYS moving through the gun (even after a pass) but stop spraying paint when you get to the end of the pass. ...if that makes sense. :p:

next step is the clearcoat. I REALLY wish I could remember the brand of clearcoat we use cuz its super easy!! but you still have to be careful. it takes 3-4 good even coats to turn out nicely. emphasis on the evenly! any runs, drips, or inconsistent passes will result in wrinkles and having to do a LOT of sanding. but take your time and give your work area plenty of light. and take your time ;)

the clear and paint we use takes just 20 minutes to dry between coats, but I think 24 hours between paint and clear. after at least a day of the clear drying, it can be buffed and polished. I would consult a local paint store about the process for whatever paint your using and about buffing, as that is an art in and of itself!

each brand of paint requires different things. auto paint requires it be mixed with a thinning agent (not paint thinner) in order to pass through the gun. I'm not sure about other brands or types.

hope this helps! next month I will be pulling the trim off of my truck and painting that and will make a write-up of exactly how I do it, pictures and all.

Back