PATS Module replacement in steering column? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS Module replacement in steering column?

Green98XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Winc. VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Hi Guys, recently our 02 Ex Limited has been giving my wife a fit when starting, she inserts the key and it will not crank, the PATS LED on the dash flashes rapidly. So first I figure its the transponder key, we change keys to the spare and same results.

We've now figured out to tap the bottom of the steering column with a few good "taps" and it starts. I took the column trim off and inspected the module there that reads the keys but of course can't see anything wrong...

Can you just replace these? is there a fix? Obviously something is loose or making bad connections internally because the "taps" allow it to start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Guys, recently our 02 Ex Limited has been giving my wife a fit when starting, she inserts the key and it will not crank, the PATS LED on the dash flashes rapidly. So first I figure its the transponder key, we change keys to the spare and same results.

We've now figured out to tap the bottom of the steering column with a few good "taps" and it starts. I took the column trim off and inspected the module there that reads the keys but of course can't see anything wrong...

Can you just replace these? is there a fix? Obviously something is loose or making bad connections internally because the "taps" allow it to start.

Yes, you can. It is detailed in the Ford Shop Manual. imp

Too bad I don't have the shop manual... :)

you can buy the cd for $5 - $15 in ebay, it's the same as the book plus it also contains other ford trucks/car (mustang/cougar/lincolns/taurus..etc)

it's an easy fix actually, the ring that is around the ignition key sometimes has a loose connection, find that plug and check the connection. sometimes a tape will secure it properly (i have that same issue with my lincoln continental, the ground wire is loose)

Tore into the column this weekend after it got so hard to start at the kids soccer game that we sat there for 20mins tapping the steering column and praying...

Apparently the Transceiver ring around the ignition had been replaced before and it was put in with butt splices. Also I noticed an extra ground wire was tapped into the ground lead. Needless to say the crimp was no good on the splice and pulled apart very easily when I pulled it. I cut off the splices and soldered and heat shrinked all connections. So far it has worked flawlessly.

Sounds like you have something after market in there... Remote starter or security system. There is not much to the transponder and if was replaced by cutting the wires previously, whoever did it did not pay much attention...

Back