Pinging/popping noise coming from engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pinging/popping noise coming from engine

abomitron

Reaction score
City, State
nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 2 door
I just finished putting on new valve covers, spark plugs, wires, a new egr valve, and a new canister purge valve on my 94 eddiebauer 2 door. I start it up, and it runs fine for a few minutes, then the engine makes a popping sound randomly every minute or two that shakes it, and I also heard a loud pinging noise coming from what seems like the bottom end. I need to get this fixed fast, any help/comments would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Codes?

well the koeo test showed a pass, as well as the memory test, but the koeo test gave me a 136 and a 536. 136 says its running lean on the left side, and 536 is the b.o.o. switch not working, which i dont think would have anything to do with this

you might have a few plug wires mixed up... maybe one of your new plugs has some sort of defect... I would change out the new plugs with old ones one by one and see what happens.

If the engine is missing (under load normally) but idles ok mostly, then you can put it down to a faulty lead, possibly shorting to earch on the engine block, go out at night without a light and look at each lead (wire to the northerners) and try and find the missing spark.

Did you dislodge a vaccum line maybe? Mine had similar symptoms when the vacuum lines came off the tree.

Back