Pirelli Scorpions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pirelli Scorpions

Does anyone have any experiences with Pirelli Scorpion A/T's? I'm thinking about getting them from Tirerack. Currently I have Bridgestone dueller H/L's with 55k miles.
I don't really go off the pavement except for a trip or 2 to the beach. However I would like a decent grip for the snow here in the northeast. The Pirellis are pretty affordable so that a plus and also the ratings on the Tirerack page are real good too. Any feedback would be welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know much about the scorpion a/t's, but i have the scorpion zeroes and they kick ass :D supossedly theyre also decent in the snow, but we havent gotten any yet. i dont know if this helps much, since theyre different tires, but i thoguht id post it anyways.

I switched from the BFG All Terrain K/O's about 6,000 miles ago. So far, I have been very satisfied with the Scorpion A/T's. They seem to ride great on the highway (wet or dry) and they seem to perform well off road (especially in mud). My only regret is that I mounted the black sidewall out instead of the white lettering. I'm planning on switching them around when I get a chance. Hope this helps.

I've had 255/70-16 Scorpian A/T's for about 5 months and about 7-8k miles. I am very pleased with them. I live in the Seattle area. Compared to the stock Firestones they replaced they are very good in the rain and resist hydroplaining well. In the snow they are also excellent, they don't slip much at all. The ride is also smoother and a little quieter in all around highway and city driving than the stones.

They do get flat spots in the morning until they get warmed up. I also found that there is a huge difference in the ride depending on what psi you run. 30psi is much more comfortable than 32. I also get a minor shakes at around 65mph but also had that with the stones.

Hope this helps!
Doug

Originally posted by tbomb
i dont know much about the scorpion a/t's, but i have the scorpion zeroes and they kick ass :D supossedly theyre also decent in the snow, but we havent gotten any yet. i dont know if this helps much, since theyre different tires, but i thoguht id post it anyways.

TBomb, I've been considering the Scorpion Zeros, but I was wondering if they have a harsh ride? I know they probably handle excellent, but I don't want to make my Explorer ride any worse than it already does. Also, how many miles do you think they will last?

Originally posted by RTStork

TBomb, I've been considering the Scorpion Zeros, but I was wondering if they have a harsh ride? I know they probably handle excellent, but I don't want to make my Explorer ride any worse than it already does. Also, how many miles do you think they will last?

well, im not a tire guy, and i dont know much about tread life, so i have no idea how long theyll last, but i dont plan on replacing them anytime soon ;) my truck handles great and it still rides pretty damn good too. i have bilsteins too, so my rides a little stiffer, but i wouldnt call it "rough", id call it "tight" - its different. it also depends on what size tire you get. i have a 60 series sidewall, which is a lil lower profile, but if you get a 70 series sidewall, thats pretty consistent with stock tires, youll have a ride thats less, for lack of a better term, "harsh" than mine.

i switched about 5k ago to the yokohama avid st.
i had the scorpion at on my old 96 and they were
great but i wanted to try something different.
the yokohamas are great but we have not had much snow yet.in the little bit we had they were fine.
as i recall the pirellis were ok in the snow.

Originally posted by mike dilbone
i switched about 5k ago to the yokohama avid st.
i had the scorpion at on my old 96 and they were
great but i wanted to try something different.
the yokohamas are great but we have not had much snow yet.in the little bit we had they were fine.
as i recall the pirellis were ok in the snow.

Mike, how are the Yoko's handling and ride? Tire rack has excellent prices on them. Do you have any pics of your ride with the Avid's?

These are the tires I am going with this spring. I am waiting untill the snow and salt are gone and then I am getting 20's with these @ 265/50R20. I want a real sport look and the stance with this setup is awesome!

Dead Link Removed

It will look just like "Sportster Trac," I love that stance!
sportsterfront.jpg

I have the scorpion's, 31x10.5 to be exact. I love em!!! Great in rain and dry, ill let you know about the snow when it snows...whenever that might be :confused:

Are you sure 265/50/20s will fit under the X?

Originally posted by sideswipe
Are you sure 265/50/20s will fit under the X?

Its alittle bit smaller then a 31 x 10.5 tire... it should fit

What's up everybody this is my first post on this forum.

I installed Pirelli Scorpion ATs on a previous suv I had, the suv I rather not talk about,:mad: but the tires kicked ass, so when all this ugliness about firestone, blew up, I already new what to go for, I've had them for about 12 or 13k and again, kick ass!!!
The only thing is that I got too wrapped up in the all black theme, and just like southtexplorer I asked the guy to leave the white lettering facing in. DAMMN IT!!!!

I don't think that 265/50/20 are going to fit under an Explorer. I just bought a set of 20s for my X and I'm going with 275/45/20. I don't think that anything larger than that will fit.

mikey, your setup is .7 inches smaller... since most guys around here can fit a 31 under their truck... I think he'll be fine.

RTStork,the yokohamas ride great and seem to be wearing well.a little stiff with the bilsteins so i may switch to a softer shock.no pics but they look cool.
i put on a 255/65/15.mine came from tirerack too.
their prices can't be beat.

I got the Yokohama avs/st black's. I've had them for about 20,000 miles now. Let me tell you this. They ride great on regular streets, but when it snows.... you have to be very careful. I know they are not made for snow, and I usually change them out for the winter, but winter came sooner than I expected this year. If you are not careful you will be all over the place. They don't have any kind of traction on snow and slush.

Back