Please Help: Parasitic Battery Drain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help: Parasitic Battery Drain

EyeintheSky57

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Hello all,

I am having a problem in an early-production 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. I have replaced the alternator/voltage regulator and done some basic diagnostics and everything seems perfect except for 1 little issue.

The drain on the battery at rest is around 500mA. From searching online I found the normal max to be around 50mA.

I did a basic parasitic drain test by watching amp drain while removing fuses. The excessive drain is downstream of fuse 20 in the PJB. In the owners manual, Fuse 20 is listed to supply power to the GEM, Memory Set Switch, and the Driver Seat Module.

Can anyone offer the next step in what I should do?

Thanks.

I would reach under the drivers seat and unplug the connectors to the module/motors. See if the drain rate drops. This will help to isolate the drain.

Hello all,

I am having a problem in an early-production 2002 Mercury Mountaineer. I have replaced the alternator/voltage regulator and done some basic diagnostics and everything seems perfect except for 1 little issue.

The drain on the battery at rest is around 500mA. From searching online I found the normal max to be around 50mA.

I did a basic parasitic drain test by watching amp drain while removing fuses. The excessive drain is downstream of fuse 20 in the PJB. In the owners manual, Fuse 20 is listed to supply power to the GEM, Memory Set Switch, and the Driver Seat Module.

Can anyone offer the next step in what I should do?

Thanks.

What drain is measured after fuse 20 removal? The 50ma mentioned is high, for normal circumstances. The PCM keep alive current should be about the only drain present, at about 5ma. A wiring diagram would help greatly, as the fuse useage listings are not always complete. 500ma (1/2 amp.) is a large amount of current at 12 volts, enough to cause heating and fire. imp

Im having the same problem

Back