• Register Today It's free!

please help

simjet22

Reaction score
City, State
Freeport, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 explorer EB
ok, thanks to u guys here i fixed all the other problems that i have encountered, but there is one more! my reverse light circuit is shorted out! checked the fuse no fuse there. put a fuse in there and bam worked, but after 2 seconds boom it goes! what amp fuse should be in there? i don't have an owners manual to check. i put in a 7.5 and then a 10 amp fuse, and they both blew out! whats next? thanks, this is a 1998 ford explorer sport 4wd

first you must identify the color of the wire in circuit and start fallowing it from the light fixture toward the fuse box. it runs down the exterior drivers side of the frame and it is inside of conduit so it might be a bear to trace but thats why it is so pricey to have a mechanic do it for you. its easy work but patience is a must and nothing can be overlooked ..

thanks, i havent got any time to look at it, but hopefully i will be able to do it friday. thanks again

You need to remove both tail lights and check the connections at the bulbs.
There are 3 spots where you will find the reverse lamp wire, at the transmission where the sensor is, in the fuse panel, and at the tail lights. It is unlikely that your wiring issue is somewhere in the middle of the harness, it is most likely at one of these places where there are connectors to deal with. (wires in the loom generally dont get cut, but they corrode, get cut, come apart where they are exposed)

The reverse circuit wire should be black with violet if memory serves

Back