Plugs and Brakes

Keach

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4x4
Hey folks, couple quick questions.

I'm looking to change the plugs on my 98 sohc. I've got 45k on the originals. I know they're platnium, but i won't keep running them to 100k, don't trust'em. I stopped at autozone, factory originals not available. 10.00 each at the dealer. Does anyone have any suggestions. Also, I've looked at the performance brake pads and rotors available thru performance products. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do you have a recommendation on replacements??

As always, all help is greatly appreciated!!

------------------
Keach
98 XLT 4X4 SOHC
Edelbrock Shocks
Granatelli MassAirFlowSensor
Kurtz Kustom AirFilterKit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keach,
I would sugest that because you obviously drive alot being in real estate that you get Bosch Plat+4's along with SplitFire Dual Core wires. I was skeptical at first btu now that they are in I love them. The added performance is great!
Since you have plat you may not notice AS MUCH improvement but you will notice a good amnt. OR your money back!
Its eventually up to you how to spend your 75-80 dollars but this is how I would do it.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Hi Keach,
I didn't notice any deterioration of the plugs until I got around 70K. Have you checked them to see if the electrods are being eaten away? The Ford plugs are all I use and are fine as far as I'm concerned. I would however get rid of the plug wires. I like the Jacobs myself. If you are going to change plugs that often, you might be better off just buying the regular copper clad plugs for 1 or 2 bucks each and they would do just as well. I can't help you on the brake stuff, because I use Ford stuff there also, and have not had to replace rotors yet.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Keach-I'll second Nick's suggestion. I'm also running Bosch P+4 plugs and Splitfire Twin-core wires on my "91XLT. I think they are a good combo. I noticed quicker starts and a smoother running engine. I also have seen that the plugs will take a lot to foul them. This when my fuel pressure regulator went bad. The Ford tech said that I should change the plugs though he didn't check them. He claims that the fuel mixture was so rich that he was a hundred percent sure that they needed to be replaced. After I changed the regulator, I pulled the plugs. They were a bit black but looked okay. I Just cleaned them off a little and stuck them back in. I pulled them 600 niles later and they look fine. They are still in there. I think they are worth the money and I feel the same about the Splitfire wires. Hope this helps.

Hey Keach,

Enough talk about plugs... Lets see for the brakes... I think that Performance products offers two kind of rotors:slotted and punched.

I don't think the performance pads are a good buy since they wear quickly and cost big bucks...I don't you need themn unles you race your truck on a track.
Punched rotors are good for street and track...The won't get hot as quickly as conventionals rotors and you will get more endurance and power from your brakes.
Slotted rotors are good if youre into mud and offroad cause they get the mud and water(snow and everything) out quickly. This means this **** don't stay squeezed between your rotors and pads.. It also brakes better on street and cools faster...

Hope this helps you out...

------------------
Francis
92 Sport 4X4
88 Bronco II 4X4

Keach,
We replaced our stock rotors and performance pads with a set from Applied Rotor Technology. These are cryo treated and stotted. We have over 5k miles on these pads and rotors and when I checked them last week they still looked new. Normally I would go thorugh a set of pads in around 15k miles. If I tried to get to 20k I would normally shatter a brake pad and then I would be metal to metal. The cryo treating is supposed to make it harder to warp. From the research I've done on cryo treating brake rotors (from ART and the other companies who do it) the cryo treating seems to work. Some of the companies even have contracts with Fire and Police departments that report that the pads last twice as long as they used to and that they don't warp rotors. The website for ART is http://www.appliedrotortechnology.com/ If I remember correctly we paid <$300 for 2 rotors and 2 sets of pads. Most of the other slotted rotors I have found were almost $200 each so this was a good deal and so far I'd have to say I am very impressed with these. I have some pictures that I took while doing the work so if anyone want to see them, just let me know.

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Back