possible body mods on 99 explorer xlt...front end swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

possible body mods on 99 explorer xlt...front end swap

mustangfeen

Reaction score
City, State
louisville, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 mustang 5.0 hatch
okay, im looking to buy an explorer.

its a 99 2dr explorer 4wd with all the options. 65k miles

anywho, im wanting something different...there are tons of explorers and mountaineers around town, so im looking to mix it up

my question.

will a later model ranger front end fit the front end of this 99 ex??

my buddy has a 99 ranger 4x4 that was totaled in an accident. i can have the parts off the truck before the end of the weekend

unrelated question...will jeep rubicon wheels fit on a ford? ive seen older suv's with grand cherokee wheels on them, but dont know about the jeep "jk" style (2007 up) bolt pattern

thanks for the help...;) hopefully i posted this in the right area

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the ranger parts will be REALLY close if not fit right on

as long as the wheels are 5 bolt 4.5 circle

It will take a lot of work to get the Ranger front end to fit your Explorer.

The header panel will have to be changed. The front edge of the doors are different. The hood is not the same shape.

With enough time & money anything is possible but not easy.

Several people have done second-gen Explorer/Mountaineer front-ends on third-gen Rangers (I just saw one in the latest issue of Truckin', in fact). It's completely possible. You would use your stock fenders but graft the very front of the Ranger fenders on, so the markers would work. You'd adapt the Ranger's fiberglass header panel to the Explorer. I seem to recall the Ranger guys using their stock hoods, but they may have tacked the tip of an Explorer hood on instead to get the curvature right. I always wanted to do a 93-97 Ranger nose on a Sport (with a 460 and a spooled 9").

thanks for the replies. im gonna pick up the parts tomorrow evening, but im gonna have to hold off for awhile to get some time to work on it..my '88 mustang hatch is taking all my money and time right now..sn95 interior conversion with a terminator engine swap and a full maximum motorsports suspension with baer brakes...im broke

oh...ive been wondering...what is an SAS'ed explorer? ive had tons of 4x4 vehicles with work done to em, but never figured this out...

Solid Axle Swap (in place of the IFS)

Back