• Register Today It's free!

power window motor help

rguy

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
The windows in my '91 Explorer aren't working. The motors are fine, but the gear drive system isn't. When I took the gear drive cover off, I noticed a bunch of chewed up plastic debris. I'm guessing this debris was once a gear. Can I buy this part and if so, what is the part number? I need this same thing for all 4 window motors.

thanks.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know what it is, but ill reply cuz i can

check the Haynes manual if you got one, im sure its got some kind of exploded view of the whole shabang.

check www.Rockauto.com for the part

or www.1aauto.com they might have it too

wow this happened to all four windows motors?

i'd try looking at local salvage yards first... im sure they've got a first generation somwhere near you that still has these gears.

Check out Jeff Singleton's site in the "list of usefull threads" forum. Exellent site!! There is 3 little plastic bushings that go. The kit only costs about $10. I need to do 3 out of 4 on mine before the weather gets too hot.

Here are the three bushings:

windowgearbushings.jpg

And here is the window gear they go in, or you can get it all together like you see it:

wlg43_2.jpg

I had my passanger front window motor replaced. The old one was sticking, & sometimes would not go up & down. That was last summer. The last few weeks. That window has been slow opening & closing. Like it wants to stick in the middle again. Why should it do this with a new window motor? Is something else in the door that should have been replaced as well? The switches are fine.

Jason94sport said:
I had my passanger front window motor replaced. The old one was sticking, & sometimes would not go up & down. That was last summer. The last few weeks. That window has been slow opening & closing. Like it wants to stick in the middle again. Why should it do this with a new window motor? Is something else in the door that should have been replaced as well? The switches are fine.

It could be the window trim pinching/jamming up the window or it could be the window regulator. If you take the interior trim off the door and remove the motor you can slide the window up and down easily by hand to see if it's sticking anwhere. While doing this, you can also check if anything is obviously wrong with the regulator (e.g. the little wheel thingies coming out of the slider).

My window used to struggle to get to the top and then get jammed in the closed position. I thought the motor was the problem and replaced it, but had the same problem. Looking everything over, I could not find anything obviously wrong with it. I greased up all the slides and gears and put it back together. For a couple weeks after that, it would get stuck closed only occaisionally and now it works fine all the time (I think b/c the grease has worked its way in everywhere).

Aren't the motor & regulater the same thing? Isn't all 1 unit?

falls chic said:
Check out Jeff Singleton's site in the "list of usefull threads" forum. Exellent site!! There is 3 little plastic bushings that go. The kit only costs about $10. I need to do 3 out of 4 on mine before the weather gets too hot.

thanks for the info.

I fixed 3 windows, but I didn't buy a gear/bushing kit, I couldn't find any nylon rods, and I didn't have any ball bearings from my "20 year tool box". What I did find where 9 nuts (3/gear mechanism) that fit snug enough around the gear drive to make each window work. Only time will tell if it lasts. Total cost $0.00.

Rob

Jason94sport said:
Aren't the motor & regulater the same thing? Isn't all 1 unit?

No, they are separate components. On the front doors there are three holes in the door panel sheet metal allowing access to the three bolts that hold the motor on. Remove the bolts and you can replace the motor without taking out the whole regulator. On the rear doors, there are only two pre-existing holes, but there is an indentation in the sheet metal where you need to drill the third access hole to remove all the bolts.

Maybe Ford sells the regulator/motor as a single unit, but you can get just a rebuilt motor at a parts supply place. (or fix your motor per the previous posts.)

also your local ford dealer stocks them in their parts dept

E-bay Search: EXPLORER WINDOW MOTOR

With my windows all 4 are bad.On the passenger side the 2 are up and they wont come down.Now when i hit the window button all it does is click.On the driver side the back window will go down to about half way and then it will go up on its own from there.The driver front window just started a couple days ago.Now what this one doe is when i hit the button once for it to go down auto it will go all the way down.Then when i go to put it up itll go a little over half then i have the manually pull it up the rest of the way.

Now my question is has my problem with my windows been anwsered here or is mine something diffrent?Thanks for any help.

I have the same problem so many have had with their window motors. I bought a motor from a junkyard and replaced the old one yesterday on my 94 explorer driver window. The window would stick at different places on the way up and just click until I helped it alonhg by had. After putting the new (to me) motor in, all the motor does is spin in each direction and the window does nothing.

Is there a trick to getting the geaws to line up? Seems simple to me, but could not make it work. Any thoughts (besides I am too stupid to work on my own stuff and need to go to the dealership)?

thanks
physh

The regulator is spring loaded and should be handled with care. It could cause serious injury if the spring comes undone. You just have to move the regulator against the spring then bolt the motor to the regulator where it will be lined with gears. No need to buy a new motor if you hear it running, the bushings are just gone. It sounds like that is what is wrong with your origonal one and the one from the wreckers probably. We fixed ours for free with a couple of homemade fabricated metal bushings 10mm diameter x 10mm long. Fixed three windows and they work better than ever!!FREE!
Good luck!

Peace

thank you falls chic for the advice and replying so quickly. :thumbsup: I will give it a shot.

physh

Kinda sorta the same window problem...

I just bought a 94 explorer that has a funky window issue too. The front windows sometimes get stuck all the way down and won't go up. I can't hear any motors running, and I fixed it once before by giving it the old technical tap after taking off the interior door panel and the motor powered right up with the window. Now the same thing happened and can't seem to fix it. The previous owner told me that when it happened to him, he took it to the mechanic and he just tapped or hit the window. Any thoughts or suggestions on what the problem is, or how to fix it? Thanks!

-Jessica

This is some stuff I got off this site:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129888

And, with excellent pics:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145469&page=1

Aloha, Mark

I can't hear any motors running, and I fixed it once before by giving it the old technical tap after taking off the interior door panel and the motor powered right up with the window.

PS........you could also try flipping around the motor brushes, while you have the motor apart

Back