Premium System - Are Stock Speakers OK? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Premium System - Are Stock Speakers OK?

C

Capp

I have a 1998 Sport with the Ford Premium Sound system (includes 6+1 CD changer, AM/FM Cassette, 4 Spkrs. + Subwoofer in cargo area). I was wondering - since this is their "premium" system, would I notice any significant improvement if I changed out the speakers...

BTW, I probably won't change the head unit or add an amplifier...

Also, recommendations regarding 6x8 vs. 6.5" round would be welcome, as well as 3 way vs. 2 way and brand name recommendations...

Thanks

Capp

Just changed my stock "premium" speakers in for four 6X8 Pioneer 3 way replacements. What a diff in sound quality. Have not changed the head unit (yet). Much better highs than before, although lacking somewhat in the bass (I don't have a sub in the back, so should not be a diff for you).

All in all, I wish I would have changed speakers two years ago. I think you should do it, cost me $160 for all four.

Hello,
What you should of done is bought the Explorer with the lowest stereo system available without the back seat controls. Once you switch the head unit, those controls become obsolete. Replace your head unit with a New Clarion Head Unit maybe the 9475 series add one sub in the rear with a decent amp and you should be fine. When you wanna get more serious replace the doors with some 5 1/4 Polk's or Harman Kardan's.
Make sure you get GOOD amp for the four door speakers if you replace them as well.
I will have pictures of my Explorer up soon!

Jordan
98 XLT

Back