Probem with factory alarm and Bulldog Remote Starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Probem with factory alarm and Bulldog Remote Starter

spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
Well, I spent the whole day (9 AM - 1 AM) installing my bulldog RS112 into the X. I had to get the bypass module in order for it to work and it did - several times. However, most of the time it doesn't. I can't figure out a pattern to it. Sometimes it will start right up, most of the time it will just crank with the "theft" light flashing on the dash.

Does anyone have any advice? I've got a 2000 V8 and the Bulldog 112, 791 bypass, and the programed key. Their tech support leaves a lot to be desired. :mad: I really want to get this to work but I'm pulling my hair out. The damn PATS system is doing me more harm than good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I searched Bulldog's site and found a reset procedure for the 791 Bypass Module (the thing that gets around the PATS system). You have to disconnect the blue wire do some stuff then reconnect. Yea, that's no problem since it is burried under the dash :rolleyes:

Sure enough it started just now when I got up. It's like the thing is possesed! Last night it just would not start toward the end. Man, I'm gonna need a new starter after this venture :(

is the bypass module mounted close enough to the ignition and secure? The intermittency (is that a word) of the problem must be driving you nuts!

Yep, the bypass module uses an antenna that is wrapped around the iginition. I just started it like 4 times with no problem, now it won't start anymore. I'm going to try the 791 reset and see if that does anything. And you are correct, it is REALLY annoying!

I fixed it! :D I'm writing this "talk to myself" thread in the hopes that it can save another Xer the trouble I went through. To recap, mine was a 2000 V8 with the PATS (transponder chip in key) system.

After much trouble shooting I narrowed down the problem to the 791 bypass module that has a coded key inserted into it and a ribbon cable that wraps around the ignition key cylinder. In speaking with tech support again today, it turns out that the chip is located in the top of the key (where you would put it around your keychain) rather than the lower half (near the metal part) as the last tech had told me. I re-wrapped the ribbon cable around the ignition and then reset the key so the cable that surrounds it was over the transponder location.

So far I've started it up about 15 times and it has started every time (sometimes on the 2nd attempt due to my using the "tackless" operation). The range on it is very good so far - I went to the end of my street and was far enough away that I could not hear the engine start but saw the indicator lights! The model of Bulldog I have (112) has some nice features:

1) Keyless entry (even with the engine running)
2) Valet mode (which allows you to take the key out and leave the engine running)
3) Programmable run time.
4) Cold start.

It's also got some other features that I have not yet played around with. All and all it took me the better part of 2 days to get it running, but now that it is I'm loving this thing. The total cost was about $130 with the accessories that I needed. I can now use the one Bulldog remote but I will lose a few features:

1) No one press to unlock driver door, 2 press to unlock all doors - the bulldog locks or unlocks all doors at once.
2) No puddle lights when unlocking the via the bulldog - just parking lights. I can probably add this feature via some relays and another week of my time but I'm just going to leave it alone.
3) No panic button - although I'm not the panicy type :)

I ran the wire for the hood pin but have to get the connector to it. I'll make sure to do that before the next service so no one looses a hand :eek: or worse yet starts my car with no oil in it! I guess the only thing left is to price out a new starter - I've started this thing about 50 times this weekend :rolleyes:

Back