• Register Today It's free!

Problems with 2000 Explorer

LesMinton

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hi, ok I have posted on here before, and its been kind of hit and miss, but now my problems are compounded and I am quite upset right now.

So I had this weird noise when I was driving. When I tried to open the hood, the hood release would not release, like the cable was stretched. I came on here and was told about a secondary release, however the only way to access that is with the hood open, I cannot see it or get to it from the grill. So I finally get the hood open with a pair of pliers pulling on the cable. Find the problem with the engine noise, its the piece of the EGR that goes into the exhaust head, its broken clean through. So fine, I know what it is, I close the hood.

Today on my way home it feels like the sound might be different... So when I get home, I try to open the hood with the pliers. Cable snaps. Now, I am just, well, pissed. Cannot open the hood. I dont know any way to get the hood released. Does anyone have any idea? Am I just screwed and fated to pay way too much to fix a problem that should never have happened? I have had 25 year old Toyotas with less of these little problems than I am having with this 9 year old Ford.

Sorry if I come across as having a bad attitude, I am just miffed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May just take the damn thing to my mechanic.

In my decade on this board, I've not heard of a good work-around for a busted hood release cable... Sorry. It's not a very common problem.... My best guess is that you may be able to saw through either the hood latch or the wire look that it catches very carefully with a very long sawzall blade, but I honestly have no idea how to get around that one...

Sorry.

In my decade on this board, I've not heard of a good work-around for a busted hood release cable... Sorry. It's not a very common problem.... My best guess is that you may be able to saw through either the hood latch or the wire look that it catches very carefully with a very long sawzall blade, but I honestly have no idea how to get around that one...

Sorry.

Yeah I have pretty much decided it needs to go t my mechanic. I am gonna play with it some and see if I get any results.

I've never heard of the hood release cable failing like that in the Explorer, particularly not in just 9 years. All cables like that stretch eventually (throttle cables, bike brakes/gears, etc.) but it takes a lot of use and time - that's why there's an adjuster on them. You might be able to get to it through the grill, if you can get around the meshwork, and release the lock manually. The EGR tube is a relatively easy fix once you can get to it.

Too bad there seems to be no easy fixes, particularly since I am having a similar issue with my 1997 XLT. It just started I guess. The truck has sat for a couple months and the hood hasn't been opened.

I tried using a pair of pliers to pull on the cable at the handle. The cable didn't seem to pull any and felt frayed afterward. I was afraid of making things worse especially since the cable doesn't seem to move.

Is there something I can try before towing it to mechanic (battery is dead) that will not screw it up too much it it doesn't work? I'm naturally tempted to try brute force until I break something.

Too bad there seems to be no easy fixes, particularly since I am having a similar issue with my 1997 XLT. It just started I guess. The truck has sat for a couple months and the hood hasn't been opened.

I tried using a pair of pliers to pull on the cable at the handle. The cable didn't seem to pull any and felt frayed afterward. I was afraid of making things worse especially since the cable doesn't seem to move.

Is there something I can try before towing it to mechanic (battery is dead) that will not screw it up too much it it doesn't work? I'm naturally tempted to try brute force until I break something.

I finally figured it out! If I could get a picture of it I would post it, but I will try to explain...

Have a long slim screwdriver. On the left side of your grill, that is, looking at the grill, the side on your left (passenger side) shine your flashlight through the grill towards the hood latch. You will see a spring. Follow the spring to the termination point toward the driver side. There is a piece of metal it is hooked to, push that piece of metal toward the driver side with your screwdriver, the hood will pop up.

I thought it was a fluke, so I tried it a couple more times and it worked. Give it some time, work with it, and you will get it.

Hey thanks for sharing that. I won't be able to try this out immediately but I'll post once I do.

LesMinton,

I don't know if the latch might be configured a little differently on the 97 or I'm just not recognizing that spring and piece of metal. I will look at the entire set up more closely in daylight.

I finally got my hood open after spraying half a can of WD40 up in there and pounding on the hood while propping the hood release lever up with a stick.

My problem was so much a stretched cable as a lubrication issue.

Back