Radar / Switched Power Connection? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radar / Switched Power Connection?

Lennis

Reaction score
I recently purchased a radar detector and want to wire it in so that it is switched on with the ignition. I will be mounting the radar detector up high, above the rear view mirror and am looking for a place to wire into that is switched. I drive a 2000 XLT 4 door Explorer which comes with the navigational console (electronic compass / thermometer) on the headliner above the rear view. My question is, is there a suitable connection in the console or should I just run the wire around and down?

Separately, I've not had a need to get to the main fuse board as of yet. Where is it? Under the driver's side?

Thanks,
Len Dennis

It just so happens that I have already done exactly what you want.

First you will need to remove the driver's side door trim as well as the overhead console. Then take an electricians fish and run it from the console area, under the headliner till ir comes out over the drivers door. Now you can pull the electrical wires through. I used a marine wire that has 2 wires in one harness ( 14 ). Next step is to tie the hot lead into a switched fuse at the fuse block. Use a fuse to extra wire adaptor for this. I used the radio fuse. Then find a good ground and attach the negative lead. I used a screw near the fuse block. You can now reattach the door trim. I simpled spliced ( with solder connections ) the power lead for the radar detector into the wire I just ran to the overhead console. You now need only to mount the detector, reattach the console and plug in the power lead. Mine works perfectly and there are no sloppy dangling wires anywhere.

Good luck….

Back