Radiator fan always running at full speed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan always running at full speed?

lkreykes

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
Hi everyone
My '05 4.0L XLT's radiator fan seems to be running at full speed at all times. When taking off from low speeds the fan really roars loudly but goes away as I speed up. Could there be a bad sensor or seized fan clutch? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good news - the fan is engine-mounted so it perpetually runs with the rotation of the engine all the time. Nothing to be concerned about.

There are some who have experimented with removing the fan and swapping a Lincoln electric fan into the explorer, for some slightly increased performance and mileage gains.

Do some thread searching and you'll see some good info and writeups on that.

-Dubya

Hi everyone
My '05 4.0L XLT's radiator fan seems to be running at full speed at all times. When taking off from low speeds the fan really roars loudly but goes away as I speed up. Could there be a bad sensor or seized fan clutch? Thanks

I'm no authority on fan clutches, but from what I know of their workings, they should only spin at "full speed" when the engine/cooling demand is high, thus more effective cooling is needed. At lower idles or cooling needs, the fan should spin at a slower rate. You could have a fan clutch going bad.

I'm no authority on fan clutches, but from what I know of their workings, they should only spin at "full speed" when the engine/cooling demand is high, thus more effective cooling is needed. At lower idles or cooling needs, the fan should spin at a slower rate. You could have a fan clutch going bad.

+1

They spin freely when engine is off and slowly engage as engine heats up as mine does.

My Aviator does the same thing when it's cold. Roars like crazy and sucks a lot of engine power. After about 1-2 minutes it frees up again. Also roars on a hot day if the engine is getting hot, which is what it's supposed to do. Seems like it's getting worse in cold weather though. If yours roars even after a couple minutes I'd say you have a bad fan clutch.

Good news - the fan is engine-mounted so it perpetually runs with the rotation of the engine all the time. Nothing to be concerned about.

There are some who have experimented with removing the fan and swapping a Lincoln electric fan into the explorer, for some slightly increased performance and mileage gains.

Do some thread searching and you'll see some good info and writeups on that.

-Dubya

The fan has a viscous clutch, it doesn't run perpetually. On freeway speed it will stop running. It will run on idle, below 45mph (-ish as needed) and when AC is ON. Could be a bad fan clutch if it's making a noise.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

The fan has a viscous clutch, it doesn't run perpetually. On freeway speed it will stop running. It will run on idle, below 45mph (-ish as needed) and when AC is ON.

You're right, I spoke incorrectly. I should have said it should be running at the get-go of turning on.

Thanks for the replies. If it is a bad clutch, how much estimate would a new one be and could I replace it myself?

You can check Rock Auto to get an idea on the price for the Explorer but the last one I replaced was on my 71 Torino and it was in the range of $50-60.
As far as whether or not you can replace it depends on your mechanical ability which only you know. You just basically start removing parts until you can remove the fan blade and then the clutch.

. If it is a bad clutch, how much estimate would a new one be and could I replace it myself?

If you have an Advance Auto Parts store near you, look at the link below. I looked up the price of a fan clutch for your vehicle specs and they run around $54 at Advance, and you could most likely find an online coupon to use there at www.couponcabin.com The coupon might save you $10-$20 off of that price depending on what coupon specials they have running now. 4 bolts hold the fan clutch on according to the part description at Advance.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ehicleIdFromReq=295903&vehicleIdSearch=295903

If you have an Advance Auto Parts store near you, look at the link below. I looked up the price of a fan clutch for your vehicle specs and they run around $54 at Advance, and you could most likely find an online coupon to use there at www.couponcabin.com The coupon might save you $10-$20 off of that price depending on what coupon specials they have running now. 4 bolts hold the fan clutch on according to the part description at Advance.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ehicleIdFromReq=295903&vehicleIdSearch=295903

Thanks! I'll be sure to look into this.

Current codes. Even with 40% they are usually more expensive than online, but you can get it immediately.

$10 off $30 - A124, UPROMISE124, ES123
$20 off $50 - ES123 (40% OFF!)
$25 off $70 - A124, UPROMISE124
$30 off $90 - HUGE30
$40 off $100 - TRT41 (40% OFF!)
$40 off $110 - A124, UPROMISE124
$50 off $175 - HUGE50

Thanks for the replies. I won't be tackling this until spring, it's just too cold to work on anything right now haha

Thanks for the replies. I won't be tackling this until spring, it's just too cold to work on anything right now haha

If its actually stuck on you will waste a ton of fuel before spring. Should think about doing it.

If it's stuck you may run into engine codes too, plus there won't be as much heat from your heater too. I've got a similar problem on my 02 4.6, combined with (as was suggested to me in my thread) likely a bad thermostat. My truck actually threw the P0125 code for insufficient coolant temp. +1 on ponkotsu's point about fuel. I'm getting horrible mileage, and you likely will be too.

Although given the outside temps, if you are like me with no garage, it will be waiting until a thaw day or spring (whichever comes first!)

I am confused, is their a clutch on these fans or not. My 95 xlt seems to rotate full speed at all times.

Back