Rattling Noise/Truck stalling

EMStaxi

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Piscataway, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
I left my job, took off up the road... no probs. As I passed a car, I started to hear a rattling noise (figured it was the other c ar since my window was down. Anyway as I slowed down to turn a corner, I felt the rpms go down and then the truck stalled. I threw it into neutral, started it up and continued to dive. This time I noticed that the rattiling I heard was me. The truck kept wanting to stall so I kept my foot on the gas a little. As I revved the engine, the rattle began to coiencide with the engine revs. Anyway I first figured it was the air filter because 2 weeks ago the support bracket for the kkm lost a screw and the filter fell off. Everything was on. Started the engine up still heard the rattle and felt the truck wanting to stall. About 3 mins later after sitting at a traffic light, everything was fine. No rattle, no stalling. I pulled over again rev the engine.. nothing. no leaks. nothing. Truck runs fine, except it may sound a little louder (exhaust). Even checked under the body. Nothing loose, no check engine light. truck has 58k miles. When I got home, jacked up the front end thinking maybe somthing happend with the front diff...I spin one wheel and the other turns the opposite way( which is normal) Sorry for the long message. Kinda wanted to be specific.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
More to Come Before Summer :)

Okay, I went back outside, put truck on jack stands. Started it put ti drive...reverse...2nd...and 1. No nosies. Check for leaks, checked ball joints for play...Nothing. Start truck while sitting by wheel well on passenger side( with remote start of course) no rattle either ( even check the sarter for play) Everything is secured. Put truck back down and drove around the block(drove slow...floored it...etc) still nothing like what I described before. The only thing I can come up with is that I must have caught some underneath that would have bee hittingthe fan blade to make the noise. But what would cause the very low idle and stalling out? Before, it was as though there was too much air going into the system to make the truck stall, but like I said before, the air filter was secure, all connectors intact, no visible hoses loose. I am confused Dead Link Removed and at a loss as to what may have happend. I'll see what happens 2morrow.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
More to Come Before Summer :)

Sorry about the spelling/grammar. Been up all day. Dead Link Removed

Back