• Register Today It's free!

Rattling Timing Chain

eatonc

Reaction score
City, State
Stuart, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC 4x4
My SOHC Explorer has rattled since day one at 2700 RPM under load. In March I was told that my timing chains were responsible for this. This TSB seems to explain what a lot of us have been hearing in our Explorers. Does anyone have access to this TSB and what the recomended action is?

NHTSA Number: SB619337
Bulletin Number: 14868
Bulletin Date: APR 2001

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Explorer
Summary:
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPED WITHT HE 4.0 SOHC ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A PRIMARY CHAIN RATTLE NOISE (SOMETIMES DESCRIBED AS A SPARK KNOCK-TYPE NOISE). *TT

Bring it back to Ford and have the guides replaced. The warranty has been extended. Search for SOHC and you will find threads with all the details.

what do you mean by "the warranty has been extended" ? I'm having the same problem with my 99 and Ford says it will cost me $1,600 to repair it. If you have more info, I'm sure we would both appreciate it! I did a search and couldn't find anything else on it.

Thanks, Dan

The warranty on those components was extended to cover just the repair and replacement of the timing chain tensioners, installation of the oil gallery volume reduction plug, and replacement of the lower intake manifold gaskets. Unfortunately the warranty was only extended to 6 years and 72,000 miles, so if you're outside that, you're SOL.

Most people don't bother with the balance shaft chain at the rear of the motor as that requires removal of the engine to replace. The front chain tensioner, gallery reduction plug, and lower intake gaskets can all be done under the hood, and the parts kit is less than $60.

Good luck!

Back