• Register Today It's free!

RBV SAS fab questions

zjrog

Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger
I have most of the parts I need for my SAS on my 90 Ranger. I'm using a Jeep D30, 6" coils for a XJ, long arms for the lower and will fab an adjustable upper for long arms. I'm using a modified XJ trackbar. I plan to cut the spring locator "fingers" from the coil seat in the bucket. And I will weld in a 1/4" plate (above and below), and weld in a stock XJ coil seat/bump stop. The bump stops will also allow me to use XJ coil spacers to adjust ride height...

My questions. I know the XJ tierod ends for the pitman arm are a different taper than the Ranger taper. What are other D30 SAS folks doing for this? And can we see some pics?

I have a 6" lift on the Ranger already, so I have a drop pitman arm. I'll have to have the axle and trackbar under the truck before deciding on the drop pitman, or if I would be better off with a stock one. Any thoughts from the collective? Again, pics would be helpful.

Yeah yeah, the D30 is weaker than a D44. But I got the 30 for free, and its a HP unit, so it is a bit stronger. And if break it, then I have most of the fab work done to put something else under it. Doing what I can with what I got.

Now, to get the A4LD for my Explorer put back together...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6" springs might be to short and too soft. I am using 8" skyjacker tj springs and I ended up at about 7" of lift. I did my coil buckets like you are talking about. Except I used some tube instead of cutting the mounts off an xj. The xj trackbar may or may not work you will see when it gets under the truck. Search for my 3 link buildup thread and you will see how I did mine. Flexes really well but is to soft. I used chevy TREs and reamed the pitman arm to make it fit.

Thanks Rock... I'm not pushing the axle forward, so hoping I don't have an issue with the trackbar. I might refab the stock XJ trackbar mount, but might fab something new instead. I'll look at the 1 ton TRE but still undecided on using the 6" drop pitman (moving the 6" lift over to my Explorer) or going back to a stocker. And I am concerend that the 6" coils might be short, why I chose to cut the XJ seats out, so I can use XJ spacers and such. Soft? I'm pretty sure the front of my 4 banger Ranger is a bit lighter than the front of a XJ. But there is NO WAY I'm keeping those Skyjcker 6" Ranger TTB springs. They are stiffer than hell with the 4 banger...

then its time for a monster bumper or maybe a 302 swap...

then its time for a monster bumper or maybe a 302 swap...
More weight and power is probably the last thing he needs with the axle setup.

Pushing the axle forward has nothing to do with tracbar working. It has to do with the length. Will it be right with where your steering box is to allow your drag link and trackbar to be the same legth and at the same angle. I tried 4.5" rubicon express spings and then were way to soft. They almost fully colapsed just with the trucks weight on them. With the way I did my buckets I could use the spring spacers as well.

You wil want to use the dropped pitman if you are not going histeer. It will help keep teh trackbar and drag link closer to level. Just make sure you beef up the frame mount for the trackbar. It will see a ton of force.

More weight and power is probably the last thing he needs with the axle setup.

No to the V8, and no to a heavy bumper. Minimalist is better. Though I did consider a 3.8 Thunderbird motor swap. If I have to rethink springs, I can, but hoping the 6" XJ springs will be enough. The TTB springs to me are just to damned stiff. Livable, but too stiff for good wheeling. Then again, if I have to settle for a bit lower than its sits now, I'm OK with that. Besides, if I had the money, I'd just go straight to coil overs...

Pushing the axle forward has nothing to do with tracbar working. It has to do with the length. Will it be right with where your steering box is to allow your drag link and trackbar to be the same legth and at the same angle. I tried 4.5" rubicon express spings and then were way to soft. They almost fully colapsed just with the trucks weight on them. With the way I did my buckets I could use the spring spacers as well.

You wil want to use the dropped pitman if you are not going histeer. It will help keep teh trackbar and drag link closer to level. Just make sure you beef up the frame mount for the trackbar. It will see a ton of force.

My bad, I was thinking there might have been some interferences with moving the axle forward that I won't be having. Being a Jeep guy I realize keeping draglink and trackbar angles together is a good idea.

Doing what I can to reduce weight in the truck, or keep from adding weight at least. And after talking with other folks that have used Skyjacker XJ springs, I'm comfortable with the ones I picked up. And since they were used, they should be settled out. I've got stock XJ spring isolators and some 1" poly spacers. I intend to take the truck and get it weighed once its licensed again. Then I can get a good idea if the XJ springs are good or not, and whether my plans for the rear are OK or need revamping. (Moving the spinrgs under the frame, but using some Toyota Tundra springs with a leaf removed... but thats another project for later.)

And the pitman arm issue will resolve itself when I have the axle under the truck. Then I can deicde what will be better, stock or drop.

Moving the axle forward makes it easier. It is easier to clear the engine cross member. My front axle is puhed forward almost 4"

63" chevy springs and chevy lowering shackle will give you about 5" of lift in the rear. Just grind the rivets off the front hanger move it forward drill 3 new holes and bolt it on and you are done. The lower original rivet hole is now the lower rear bolt hole. Bolt it on and drill the other three. Flexes good too.

what about early bronco coils? they are pretty cheap...

They are bigger around and do not fit the ranger and explorer coil buckets. The TJ ones do when you cut the tabs off weld a plate on it and put something down the center to hold the spring.

Moving the axle forward makes it easier. It is easier to clear the engine cross member. My front axle is puhed forward almost 4"

63" chevy springs and chevy lowering shackle will give you about 5" of lift in the rear. Just grind the rivets off the front hanger move it forward drill 3 new holes and bolt it on and you are done. The lower original rivet hole is now the lower rear bolt hole. Bolt it on and drill the other three. Flexes good too.

I had been looking for a set of Chebbie springs and do that hanger move. But the Tundras were free, and since I'm slipping a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle under it (again, free... And stronger than the 7.5 Ford axle!). Since the truck isn't going to be a DD anytime soon, I'll make it more trail friendly. Moving the leafs under the frame should give a bit better flex, the springs have the pins smack dab in the middle of them. No matter what I need to get rid of the flat stock springs with big blocks. HAVE TO! But first, I wanna get the SAS done, get it safety inspected and get it wheeling. THe rear can wait till summer...

Well, the 94 Explorer with the dead A4LD is on the road. rebuilt the A4LD and it drives real nice. EX might or might not get a 2" lift. But 6" is out of the question for now.

So. Time to roll forward with the Ranger's SAS build... I'll continue here if its OK, or should we move this to a different section?

I've got the D30 about ready and all cleaned up. Laid out where to make cuts on my materials, just making sure what I want is correct. But should be lighting this candle this week, finally.

No to the V8, and no to a heavy bumper. Minimalist is better. Though I did consider a 3.8 Thunderbird motor swap. If I have to rethink springs, I can, but hoping the 6" XJ springs will be enough. The TTB springs to me are just to damned stiff. Livable, but too stiff for good wheeling. Then again, if I have to settle for a bit lower than its sits now, I'm OK with that. Besides, if I had the money, I'd just go straight to coil overs...

XJ springs will be fine with an SAS. They don't work with the TTB due to the leverage issues. TTB need heavy springs, SAS doesn't.

The shorter the lever arm for the axle, the heavier the spring rate needs to be.

So. Time to roll forward with the Ranger's SAS build... I'll continue here if its OK, or should we move this to a different section?
If you want, I can move this thread up a couple subforums to "Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects". It would fit there nicely. :D

If it fits better in a different sub forum, go for it.

I've had some health issues with my back and knees. But a cortisone shot for the knees and some meds for the back will be good for the time being... And had to work on my ZJ some too.

I should have some tubing for my upper control arms in the next few days. All my brackets are cut, some welding to be done. Have the right carrier and need to swap in the 4.10s. Already have my 33s swapped over (got a good set of BFG Trail TAs for just $20!!!!). I'll concern myself with trackbar mounting once the the axle is under the truck with weight on the springs. I think I will get a stock pitman arm, as I want to use these bushings to move the tierod above the steering arms on the knuckles. Then I'll have abetter idea of how to mount the trackbar and *IF* I can use a stock XJ trackbar.

6" XJ springs will be fine... More than one SAS Ranger is running around on XJ springs. I have 1" and 2" spacers if needed to maintain my current height. But I have 6" and 4" springs to work with.

My work schedule is very messed up the next couple weeks, but I'll get done what I can as I can. I also need to rip the plastic bucket seats out, my fat butt doesn't fit. I have some XJ seats to put in their place.

Back